Should I be worried about my daughter?

My daughter is 21 months old and she has said a few words here and there but now she is back to her baby talk again should I be concerned?

Emilyrose200809

Asked by Emilyrose200809 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to your Dr! There is a wide range of normal, but even so you could still qualify for services in Early Intervention. My son started talking very late and ended up in speech therapy and specialized instruction. He didn't speak in full understandable sentences until over 4yrs. He started Kindergarten last year a month before he turned 5. He ended up doing awesome. His reading level is 2 above where he should be by the end of the year, understands simple math, has wonderful comprehension etc.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i do not think you should be concered every child is differrent and learn at different levels. if there were something wrong her doctor would of said something to you by now.
    girls3boys1

Answer by girls3boys1 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Talk to your doctor.
    Usually by the time the child is 2 they have a vocab of about 20-200 words.

But don't be alarmed. So many things make a difference, such as if there have been any big changes (like divorce, new baby, move, death in the family etc etc) as well as genetics, older sibling influence etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no, most of the kids i know didn't start talking good until they were about 3 (but they were boys who are supposed to start talking later, but i'm jsut saying it's totally normal)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would talk with your doctor about it. Remember all children develop differently. Good luck
    missiedoo

Answer by missiedoo at 8:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i would not worry. every child is different and if you compare your kid to other people's then you will drive yourself crazy! i use to do that and wonder "well they're kid is talking so why isn't mine and mine is older", but i eventually grabbed hold of the concept that every child is different and they learn at their own pace. my daughter will be 3 in a few weeks and she is just now starting to talk in full understandable sentences.
    midnightraven06

Answer by midnightraven06 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I wouldnt worry my daughter will be 2 in a couple days and she says words you just have to be with her and KNOW her to know what shes saying and wants. It will come. They say boys take more time but my Gracie takes her time and you just have to wait because rushing her only makes it worse!
    horseap

Answer by horseap at 8:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Both my girls had jibber jabber. they finally started and never stopped!! But if your worried then see the doc...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thank-you ladies for all the answers and I will have a talk with the doc and go from there.
    Emilyrose200809

Comment by Emilyrose200809 (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010