Medela manual pump

Do you have any experience with it? Good or bad?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't like the manual pump - it was tiring. If you want a short-term solution and you want to increase your supply (did I understand you right?), you might be able to rent a strong electric pump for a reasonable cost (I think I paid about $35/month). I rented the Medela hospital grade pump for a little while when my supply was slipping and it really did help to get my milk up until I was ready to wean my son. Frequency was the key for me - I had to "trick" my body into believing that baby needed more frequent feedings. Within a few days of using the super-strong pump, I was producing more (around 3-6 oz per pumping session depending on when I last did it). The hospital, your pediatrician/OBGYN or a lactation consultant might be able to help you find a place to rent one. Or if you want to buy, you might get good advice from them, too. Good luck!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• 1-2 ouces with a pump is normal Anything more than that is gravy. But yeah, a dying pump isn't going to do much. Also you want to go here to maximize pumping output. See if that works first before you invest: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

The manual pumps are good if you only need just a little milk. It's not the choice if you are working part time (single electric at least) would be beneficial and they are like 60 dollars or so.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• As far as manual pumps go it works probably the best out of all of them, however if you really want to get milk out go with an electric. Something like the lanoish (sp?) comes in the purple box or it did when I got mine, worked just as good as the medela one that wic lent me when my second one was in the nicu. It was under $200 and worth every penny. It did both sides at once or you could do one side at a time. You could use battery or plug it in. I loved that thing. The manual just never got much out for me.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I've had two of them... And a number of other models as well... NONE of them worked for me... I was never able to get more than 1oz out w/a pump... And no more than 2ozs by hand...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I didnt like the manual I upgraded to the electric. I could get wayyy more milk with the electric and i also thought the manual was painful.
    newmama008

Answer by newmama008 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have a small electric called mipump, and it stopped working for me, the suction is still fine, but for some reason I am just not getting anything out anymore, so since dd is closer to weaning than would justify a $200 pump, I am just looking for something to get me by in the next couple of months. I only pump once a day. I used to be able to get 4oz total, now I'm lucky if I can get 1/2 an ounce. And my supply is fine, dd is nursing fine. I think my "pump vacation" was a bad idea...should have kept going instead of using the stockpile.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010