How do you feel about same sex parenting?

I have two very close friends who happen to be a lesbian couple. They are in a stable long term relationship and would be married if it were a possibility offered to them. They want a child and are planning to use donor sperm to achieve pregnancy. I know they would be wonderful parents no doubt and I believe they deserve the same opportunity to have children, however I worry that as the child grows older and starts school that his/her peers will not be so forgiving. Your thoughts?

EthansMom519

Asked by EthansMom519 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I fully support anyone who has the means to love and provide for a child. Gender or sexuality doesn't matter, IMO. Children with only one gender in their home would find role models to look up to the same way children of single parent homes do. I can't imagine how we would ever deny love and support. No one has to be "perfect" to be a parent - in fact none of us are! What matters is the love and commitment we put into our children, not whether we breastfeed or formula feed, or if we circ or not, or if we're gay or straight. Those issues are things no one will agree on, and they're really things that, in the scheme of what makes a good parent, are trivial. A good parent is one who loves his/her child/ren and who provides and supports them the best that he/she can. Homosexuals are just as capable of that as heterosexuals, and, IMO, its much better for a child to grow up in a loving home than in a foster home or no home...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I support it. I don't think it matters what the sex is of the child parents. I think it matters how the couple parents the child. Hopefully as the child gets older the parents will explain their relationship to their child in a positive matter. I think when it comes to kids getting older and being made fun of, anything can be a target from other children to tease about
    missiedoo

Answer by missiedoo at 8:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• nickelmom, some heterosexuals can't procreate. Should they be banned from adoption? And your studies are wrong. The most recent research actually states that children from two mother homes have less social and behavioral problems than those from traditional mother/father homes. As long as a child has parents that love and support him or her, that's what really counts. Children adapt to situations, including adoption, the death of a parent, divorce and homosexual parents. Simply being a straight man or woman in no way qualifies you as a good role model for children. The 1950's called. They want their antiquated idea of parenting back.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 9:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would have to disagree. I don;t like to judge, but I do think that haveing the same sex parents confuse children. My Aunt is Gay she married another girl and my cousins use to get made fun of in school for this. I mean she was married at one time to a male and that is how she had my cousins, but she I guess decided to leave him for a girl and my cousins were made fun of in school to wear they dropped out of school my oldest cousin gets in so much trouble he has been in and out of jail for it. I don't wish that on any child to be honest
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You go nickellmomof2....
    How fare will societies tolerance go. What's next? It's ok for homosexuals to shout discrimination and tolerance. Why is it not acceptable to shout my beliefs of intolerance to sin! Our world is becoming a cesspool because of tolerance. Anything goes, if it feels good do it. We are to love one another, but we DO NOT have to tolerate their sinful acts. Children should NOT be placed in a home that does not have a mother and a father.
    MKsGrammie

Answer by MKsGrammie at 12:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i knew a few kids with gay parents. they didn't have any issues in school, and that was years ago (i graduated hs in '98)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i dont think its as big of a deal now as it was ten years ago, or even 5 years ago. i dont think thatthe childs peers would be any harsher on him than another child with a funny name, or physical ailment. kids can be cruel, and nothing will ever change that. but i dont think its a reason to not have a child. i know many kids who were made fun of for one or both parents being, fat, old, young,etc.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 8:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My cousin was adopted by a lesbian couple, they did a good job, they are seperated now but share time with him...he is now 17. He says the only thing he doesn't like is he doesn't have a male role model.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my son had a friend last year who had 2 dads. No one ever made fun of or teased him. I think people just accept it or don't say anything about it.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It is not my job to judge other people who are in love. My cousin is gay and his other passed away. They were so happy together and we all love them both. Ron has been gone now for about 7 years in sept. I feel so sorry for my cousin. So if people are in love and they want to have a child so be it. I wish them support.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010