Has any of you moms with school aged kids been reading & writing with your kids?

If so...what exactly have you been doing to keep up their studies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We use summer solutions to keep up for my son. Reading comprehension, math, problem solving and English. We rent books from the library.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• we read everyday library books or books we own. for writing i make sure he writes his name everyday and also he is starting to learn how to write numbers. he just turned 5 and i'm so excited he'll be going to kindergarten soon lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We read all the time in our house
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 8:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my dd's school sent home a big packet for them to do this summer and a list of books and she has to read as many books of the list before sept .she is in 2nd grade in sept .
    last yr i just bought her these books from the dollar store that help with reading and writing and telling time ,they also sell flash cards with charc she loved them
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We're all avid readers in our house. We sign up for a variety of summer reading incentive programs - the school library, the bank, the chain bookstores, restraunts - so many of them offer a reward program. For example, if your child reads 10 books (and completes the application form with the info) Barnes and Noble will give them a free book. TD Bank will give them $10 in a savings account, etc. We found a bunch of summer programs and hung the forms on the kids bulletin boards.

My two love to write their own stories. I encourage them to write down what they're making up. When it's their creative time I don't correct their spelling or offer verbal edits unless they ask. We write letters to far away family and friends too. We create projects of various types and label them when appropriate. We make labels for our garden. SHopping list to go food shopping, etc. i let the kids make the list for me.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Our son just turned five. I have been home schooling him since he was three. We read everyday. When we read I will read a page and then let him try to read the other. He understands the rules of sounding out the letter and of course if he need helpI will help him sound out the letters to make the word. Then I praise him for it! He loves to read. We will soon get a library card.

For writing he had two workbooks we have bought from SAM's. He does work out of that book every other day. He writes his name and traces his numbers, letter and so on. I have also wrote of flash cards and taped them to different things in the house to help with his read and being familiar with small words like; ball, door, book, trash, frog, jar, stove, rug, bed etc. He loves the lables. Makes reading fun and get them involved!
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 11:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We homeschool and do it year round. However, we have taken a small break for the past month, but will be getting back into it in August. We still are reading daily together with my 5 and 6 year olds.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i get thoes work books, and we read all the time. and we use flash cards too!
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 2:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I use an activity book to help with her sight words and writing. We have a ton of books that we read at bedtime and she reads them through out the day. We also have a chalkboard painted on the wall that we use for fun and she has a dry erase board that we play school on...she is the teacher but mommy forgets how to spell a lot of words! lol
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We read daily and work on letters and writing different words daily. We take the hour after nap every day to work on different stuff from different work books. She's having a hard time with the reading and writing, but has flown threw in the math and is already working on 3rd grade books. I've had to stop with those, I don't want to put too much on her, even though she's begging to do the next level.
    I read to her several times a day and she copies stuff I write and picks out things that start with the particular letter we are studying at the time. She has a folder full of stuff she's wrote and cut out of magazines that start with different letters. It's hard to keep her interested in that. I swear, if she was half as interested in reading as in math, she'd be reading as much as I do!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010