should i be worried

Im breast feding my dd and im worred that she aint eating enough how do i no im feeding her enough

Lucerocaylee

Asked by Lucerocaylee at 8:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if she has the right number of wet diapers in a day she is eating enough. lord i forget how many that is..... i'm sure someone will remember. and the poo will vary.... some babies go everyday and some will not. don't worry..... i think it's like 5 or 6 wet diapers a day and you're good to go.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• She will stop when she is full...Just whatever you do don't give Formula and breast milk because you're unsure, you'll end up over feeding.

I have an idea, try pumping and you will see how much milk comes out...and think babies can feed twice as fast as what you can get from up pump.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Count her diapers. 4-5 diapers a day means she is receiving enough food. Another method is to watch her weight, I believe you can buy or rent baby scales fairly cheaply.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 8:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• spin off prinessbeth79

1st 24hrs after birth=1wet
    2nd 24hrs after birth=2wet
    and so on...after 4 days I think its 4-5 per day and your good to go
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Remember "What goes in must go out" If youuse cloth diapers the count is 6-8 diapers, disposables is 5-6 If I recall. Let her nurse whenever she wants as long as she wants. Breastfed babies do know when to stop. No schedules, no bottles, no pacifiers. Remember that babies under 6 months are doing A LOT of growing and they tend to cluster feed. Expect an insatiable need to suckle at intervals 3 days, 6-8 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months etc.

Sit back and relax, enjoy the moment.

DO NOT PUMP to see what you are making. Pumps can NEVER show you what you are producing because a pump can never be as good as a baby and some women never respond to the pump. It means nothing. So don't do that. Because if you can't get anything it will needlessly worry you over nothing.

Join a breastfeeing moms group at cafemom, and go to a LLL meeting in your area www.llli.org
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• count the number of diapers she has .if you still feel like that call the hosp that you had her and ask to speak to the lactation consulant most of them have a chart with how many diapers she should have .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If I could give amileegirl a million more up votes, I would. She has the absolute best advice for breastfeeding on this post. Listen to her and take heed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• amileegirl hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it any better myself.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sounds like you got some awesome advice!! I always wander how much mine ate too butt as long as she was eating and the diapers were wet i just went with it...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• One diaper for each day of life until a week old, then you're looking for 6 diaper changes a day. That's how you know. =)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2010