How long do you study with your kids during the summer?

And what is their schedule and in what order?
I have no direction and not to mention they are not so thrilled either. My dh says for me to study with them since I am home allday but he does not know the poop I go through with them unless I am very upset with then they'll know I mean business. But why make me go that far?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• None, they are kids, summer is time to just play and be a kid
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 8:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my dd got a packet sent home that needs to last her all summer .and she also has to read as many books on this list that her school gave her .
    if you kids school did not send anything home with them depending on the kids ages the dollar stores normally have these books for writing and reading and math and telling time my dd loved them books when i got them for her she used to do one page a week in the summer time ,but i found her doing them more
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son works 3 days a week in his 4 subjects for less than an hour. He loves to read, so he will read as much as he can. I feel it's important to keep up with what they learned from the previous school year.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• we have a summer reading list--my dd is entering 1st grade which I now am planning on homeschooling I had enough of this nonsense-- but yes we read daily she is reading to me Are you my mother, one fish two fish red fish blue fish, fancy nancy we read 250 word book s 1x a day and dh is doing anolog clock time (on the hour only as well as the calender days that is it for us
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My school-aged kids hate to read, so I make them read at least a hour a day, three times a week. I practice spelling and writing with my son, because he needs improvement on that. I practice spelling with my daughter. Usually it takes a couple of hours. Sometimes the kids complain about schoolwork, but I remind them how prepared they will be at the beginning of the school year, and I also offer a reward in exchange for homework time w/ me, such as playing the Xbox or going to the park.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We homeschool all year around, taking occasional week-long and Holiday breaks.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's summer break, we don't have scheduled study time. We don't stop learning, but it's informal and it's when the opportunity presents itself. We read together. We talk science as we walk or play or garden. We practice math when we go to the boardwalk and debate whether to spend money on this ride/game/wheel or that one. We play games and through that reinforce math and reading skills.

I completely agree that learning shouldn't stop at the classroom door or the last day of the school year. However, I also think kids need time to be kids. Education is priority #1 - but that's not just academics. And, as I said, there's tremendous opportunity to learn simply by experience.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We have taken the first few weeks of summer off. He will read to me to gain privileges and he has to write in his journal every day he wants to use the pool but those activities never take more than 15 mins and are more for making him earn fun stuff. When his books get here in august we will start on his reading and writing workbooks no more than an hour a day and begin full lessons when school starts up again in September.

If he didn't need the remedial work I would just let him have the whole summer off with a reading list and an activity journal.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no study time durng the summer. it is called summer break for a reason. dd loves to read, so she reads year round. her school takes time at the beginning of the year to review and that is good enough.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 6:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We homeschool year-round. My kids have schoolwork Monday-Thursday. Then Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. During the 4 days of the "school" week, they cover Math, Science, Reading, Writing, Social Studies, Spelling, Music and Art. It usually takes less than 4 hours a day for them to get all their schoolwork complete. There's still plenty of time to get outside and enjoy the summer, and we never have to review what they did the previous school year.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:37 AM on Jun. 30, 2010