What exactly are the effects of cervical cancer?

My cousin found out she is pregnant and they ended up finding out she has cervical cancer and might have to abort the baby... I didnt want to ask to many questions since Im sure its a touchy subject, so I was wondering what exatly it does to someone?
-thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Health

• it can kill you. what stage is she in? i would think that they would probably just take the uterus when she delivers the baby if it's not very advanced, but if they want to take the baby maybe it's far advanced and they want to start her chemo asap. gl to her and i hope that she gets to have the baby
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I found out i had it when i was preg with my daughter, they did not make me abort, after she was borh they did a loop which burns it off, and thats usually sucessful!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It takes a while for cervical cancer to take big effect, its one of the less dangeros cancers, my aunt had it for 27 years and she has had 3 kids, I have it and my cousin has it, some times the hpv virus causes it, which hat was the case for me!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• untreated cervical cancer is a death sentence-- it is 100% leathal
    it is caused by HPV-- a virus-- which is not an STD on the list but that is how you get it-- generally speaking if the cancer is less then 24 months old the survival is 100% with treatment if it is 26 months or more it is nearly always fetal to 100% which is why they are so pushy about getting your annual check--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Are you sure she has CC bc a woman who is pregnant can have an abnormal just as any woman. I pray all goes well. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no its not i have it, it can be treated very easy and the treatment is highly effective!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• hopefully she is not panicking. hopefully she had an abnormal pap. usually you get tested again! often times abnormal cells correct themselves. we(american gynecologists) found out we were too aggressive in treating pre cancerous cells, and now are taking a more wait and see approach.
    my sil had an abnormal pap. actually two in a row. after her first abnormal pap she was told she had cervical cancer and that she would never have a child. she has her child, and she does not and never had cancer.
    hopefully everything will be just fine for your cousin and her baby.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm curious why MelRN's answer was voted down. It was not rude, and it was actually a very good answer. Mel, I voted you up.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• OP, sorry, I forgot to answer! I had stage 3 cervical dysplasia (pre-cancerous cells). If they had been allowed to progress, it would have become metastatic cancer that would have killed me. The doctor would have preferred to do a hyst, just to be on the safe side. Since we were ttc, she agreed to do a LEEP conization and remove the bad cells. She got them all in one surgery, and I've never had another abnormal PAP in 14 years.

I'm sorry your cousin is dealing with this. Can she get a second opinion to be sure the hyst has to happen before the baby is born? How sad. I hope she will be okay.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• This website explains it very well: http://www.healthsquare.com/fgwh/wh1ch38.htm

If they have actually advised that she should abort I would assume that they have found invasive cancer and want to treat it. But I am not a nurse or doctor. Usually they just wait until pregnancy is over to treat. That is what they did in my case, but mine was only precancerous cells at that time. I had the LEEP after my daughter was born and now have to have a pap every three months to prevent actual cervical cancer. .

Cervical cancer is very preventable with regular pap screenings. Remember to get yours, ladies!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 10:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010