• In the Spotlight:

How can I get him to wipe?

My three year old has recently started pooping on the toilet by himself, without prompting. BUT! He thinks that toilet paper id more fun to play with than to wipe with. We also have the Kandoo wipes on the back of the toilet. I tell him that after he poops, to tell me to come wipe his butt, but I work quite a bit. I am finding undies with skid marks hidden everywhere!!! Oh, he hides them so I can't see them. He also takes off his diaper in the morning, and leaves it on his bedroom floor... I have told him a million times to throw them away... He also goes to the bathroom VERY secretively. Any suggestions?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 9:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our son is 3, and we still have to wipe him because he just can't reach back there. The few times he's tried wiping without waiting for us ended up in a huge mess. I do like randerykah's suggestion of wiping once he is clean, and I think we may start trying that with our son. Also, my son loves to play with the toilet paper so we've put it up where he can't get it, and we try not to wander too far while he's pooping. He tells us when he has to go, and we try to stay nearby so we can get in there to help him as soon as he's done. At 3, they want to be independent so bad, but it's almost like we still have to "supervise" that independence. :)
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I started teaching our son to whip when he turned four. Just so he understood the importance of whipping and he could actually reach back there. He has finally got the hang of it. I would talk him through it. I started out whipping for him and then once he was cleanI would let him whip himself. I then would whip less and he would do most of the whipping. Then he ended up doing it on his own. He is now 5 years old and whipping himself.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 9:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you should be wiping for him until he is about 5 or 6 same thing with teeth brushing it is good to let them practice but you should do it when they are done trying
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Maybe you can try getting him the Kid Kandoo wipes, and tell him those are his special big kid wipes, make it special for him... It may get him in the habit of wiping. good luck!
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 9:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010