Hot tubs and pregnancy?

DH and I are going to a cool hotel for our 5 year anniversary this weekend that has a new salt water pool that's heated to 104 degrees so it's really more like a hot tub... I'm 18 weeks pregnant. I know you're not supposed to let you core body temp get over 101 but do you think I could get in for a few min at a time or not? I don't know how long it takes to raise your body temp a few degrees... Do you think it's any worse than a 10-20 min hot shower?

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 9:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Idk, just because of the potential risk, that alone would make me stay out!! To each there own. I was actually in a hot tub once for just a few minutes when I was pregnant with my son, but didn't know it yet...but because I had a "feeling" I was pregnant I got out. I wouldn't do it...what's the point of being in a pool for 5-10 minutes anyway? That sucks they keep the pool so warm!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 11:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I've always taken hot showers when pregnant, and i've only ever heard no hot tubs...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would not do that yes there is a BIG difference in what happens to your blood and heart pumping froma submerged tub then in a shower a HUGE difference --dont they have a pool? gees its June
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Saying that it WILL kill the baby is incorrect. My baby is perfectly healthy.

There are always differences of opinion among medical professionals regarding all pregnancy topics. You should research and ask a professional that you trust if you're still unsure. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you're not supposed to take hot showers either lol. and no i wouldn't go in there.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I suppose you should ask who you personally trust, but I am pregnant and was told no longer than 10 minutes in a hot tub. I have never been given shower temperature restrictions. Hot showers and baths are safer for loner periods of time because the water temperature is not maintained as in a hot tub/jacuzzi.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• very dangerous don't go until you've had the baby.. it will kill the baby
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I hate to say but, I got in a hot tub with all three of my pregnancies and all my girls are perfect. Just don't stay in too long.
    nichole579

Answer by nichole579 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• miscarriage.about.com/od/lifestylefactors/f/hottubs.htm

www.bygpub.com/natural/pregnancy.htm
    these site should help
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If you were much farther along I would say go for it. 104 is a VERY high temp and it really isn't safe for you to be in the water at that temp for any length. I'm sorry to bring bad news!
    jdhshamoo

Answer by jdhshamoo at 9:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010