for those who shampoo with baking soda

i have heard that at first the hair is great, then goes through a not great state, how long did the not great state last for you?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• From what I have read, it's baking soda, and then you can rinse with apple cider vinegar mixed with water. I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard people say the "yuck" phase can last anywhere from like 1-4 weeks? Don't quote me though, as I said, I haven't tried it myself. I considered it, but then I was told that it can tend to strip color out of your hair faster if you dye it and that scared me off a bit--because I started going grey at 17 and I am NOT going to age gracefully lol. I'm fighting it kicking and screaming.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 1:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• people shampoo with baking soda??? WOW!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Never heard of that... what exactly does it do?
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have added a little baking soda to a normal amount of shampoo once when our water was gross coming from the city water. And another time when my hair was needing a deep cleaning, but, never for everyday use.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have done this, added a spoon to my shampoo. If you do it regularly I believe it's only to be a weekly thing. I used to do it in highschool or college when I had a lot of styling product in my hair, like after prom or a dance or something. It works great to clean all that residue out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my daughter is allergic to coconut, and there are no shampoos without it. i have heard women on here that have used baking soda. i just started myself. i may have to visit a group!
    thanks ladies!
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• OP, do you have any health food type stores around? They typically would have a shampoo she could try to use. Or google something for some at home recipes!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Haven't heard of that, but Dr. Bronner's may have something she can use. It's been around for a long time and isn't too expensive.

http://www.drbronner.com/
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 9:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, sorry- I just checked those products and they have coconut oil too. My daughter has allergies, too, so i know what a pain it is. Sorry.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 10:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I never heard of this either. May it be too strong or drying?
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010