What are some books for toddlers to help teach them their body parts?

I didn't realize at 16 months, toddlers should be able to point to body parts correctly when you ask them to! It's something we haven't even started working on until I read that. I'm thinking of some activities to help my daughter learn them and thought one good way to help would be a book on body parts. Anyone know of any on top of their head?

Honeybun09

Asked by Honeybun09 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• once upon a potty lol and we have a priddy book that has it too. i would just play head, shoulders, knees and toes though lol.... more fun

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• why dont you sing the parts and their real names everyday at bath time?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Honestly, I don't even know the words to that song.
    Honeybun09

Comment by Honeybun09 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• .... IDK LOL I just did the "where's your nose" or what ever body part game with mine.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• head, and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes
    head, and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes
    eyes, and ears and mouth and nose
    head, and shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes
    lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thanks. I hated that song when I was a kid and it's something I never sung as an adult so I forgot it LOL.
    Honeybun09

Comment by Honeybun09 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We just started by taking one part of the face first until they got it and work your way down. We do it all the time numerous times a day still. say "Nose" and touch their's then yours and ask "Where's your nose". Animal sounds as well. We actually started the first on the Your Baby Can Read program and they do some body parts and we just added. But my 22 month old now watches Yo Gabba Gabba and we do a lot of those things together on there even when we don't watch the show, like jumping, skipping, running, etc. You have do things constantly, repitition all day long and they will get it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Unfortunately I don't have all day long to do it. I work 9 hours a day and my husband works 11 hour shifts. I usually just have a few hours in the evening and then of course the weekend.

We don't have television so that's not an option, and we just started the method of pointing to a body part when saying the body part and then to ours and then asking her where hers is. She really just likes to slap my face when we're that close together. :( But that's a whole other issue LOL.

Thanks. :)
    Honeybun09

Comment by Honeybun09 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• At that age I just told them. lol We also would sing head shoulders knees and toes. A book I can recommend for around age 4 is called, It's Not the Stork. It's a gentle way to introduce changing bodies and the birds and the bees at a young age. My kids really enjoy it.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I just went to Borders for books on body parts myself...My daughter is 14 months and we have been playing the "where's your eye, nose ears" game... so i bought "My first body board book" by DK... large colorful pictures of babies and their different body parts are labeled... the other i bought was "Ears, nose & Toes!" by fisher price... this one is also a board book, it also has a stroller strap with a ring on it so you can attach to stroller, cart cover etc... there were others but not many board books and right now my daughter is so rough with books the paper ones wouldn't last 5 seconds :) hope this helped... take care!
    ZoeysMomma509

Answer by ZoeysMomma509 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010