How do I deal with being the young mom?

I am very young to be having a child going into 4th grade. VERY young. Most of the other parents at school know each other from school, or friends of friends. I feel like the odd mom out. Most women my age have 4 year olds or younger, but I have a 9 year old, and a three year old. I try to be social with the other parents, but it seems strange for me to be calling another parent to make sure it is ok if our kids hang out, or go with us somewhere, when in the back of my head I am thinking, "They probably don't trust me because I am so young!" And suggestions on how to deal?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 9:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm A 25 year old single mother of three, divorced, living with my best friend/SO, and in the bible belt no less... My children are 9, 5, 3.

I'm with you- I know how hard it is... especially with all of the older mothers who have waited until their late 30's 40's to have children. Somehow they look at age, and think that it equates life experience, which it does not. Some of us youngsters have lived through more by the time we're 30, than they have (or likely will) in their entire lives.

Just shrug them off- When the kids are older, you'll be the Uber Cool mom who actually understands your kids, and doesn't treat them like possessions. See, that's the advantage we have over them, we remember what it is like to be young, and can connect with our children in ways that they never will.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Regardless of how young you are your still a mom, you may have made a mistake of having a child early in life but you love them and care for them all the same now so I say just be yourself, you cant worry yourself over what they think, if they do think anything its prob that you are young, and they may think of all the sterotypes that go along with that so if I were you Id just aim to prove them wrong and show them that you are a GREAT mom. ;)
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 9:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I feel the same way... I am 22 and have a 6 year old son! At school functions very few moms are nice and social with me, most of the moms give me looks and are just rude! I am a mom regardless and them being rude isnt gonna change it! I would say just do what you feel is right... dont let anyone bring you down! Age doesnt change how good of a mom you are!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I am 34 with a 17 year old almost 18 so I know how you feel. Don't let your age stop you. Just do what you do and the others will come around and see you for you and not your age. Just because you are young does not mean you are letting your kids run loose or doing things that are dangerous. The other moms will see that, if they even have a problem with your age.. This might be something in your head and not theirs LOL...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Stop worrying about what you think others will think of you. Be proud of who you are and that you are raising two children the best way you know how. Truth is, as a mom you have the same experience as your daughters classmate's parents. Be you and if they just cant tolerate or trust you then keep it movin! The last thing you need is to be accepted by a group of (potentially) judgemental parents. The way I see it, you are just as great of a parent as they are. The only thing to fear is fear itself.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i guess you would deal with it the same way you would deal with being the old mom, the fat mom, the gay mom, etc. you just get over it and don't let it bother you. some people will like you and others will not. that's a part of life, not a part of being a young mom.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I am 28 and have 3 kids ages 9,8,and 4, I feel ya girl. But you all that matters is that you mare a good parent. I know 12 year olds who would make better parents then some adults. some people are just plain idiots and shouldn't be allowed to have a fish let alone a human. Don't worry about what people think or say mama!
    Clarity_Faith

Answer by Clarity_Faith at 9:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Maybe it's just me, but I have never understood the need to be one in a crowd. Be the best mom you can and don't worry about what the others think... I'm a young mom, but honestly, there are other moms even younger than me, why worry about what others? Find the people you have something in common with and ignore the rest!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• shoot i am in the same boat my oldest is going into 2nd grade i am only 22 but i dont feel as tho the other parents look at me funny and if they do i dont notice lol i am very outgoing and i try and talk to everyone .my dd has a bunch of friends n the other parents dont seem weired out by my age .just embrace it and dont worry about what you think other parents mite be saying you could be wrong and if they felt some type of way they wouldnt allow there kids around you
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I totally understand. I think the same thing! But, I've learned that in order for my child to have a normal life, I've got to get over other people's idea of what kind of mom I might be and just do my best! Good luck!
    emicek24

Answer by emicek24 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010