When do signs of giftedness first appear?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I noticed it with my son when he was 3 - he was counting out the muffins I was making (I made 12) and he said "You made 12 muffins. There are 4 of us. That means we each get 3 muffins." I was in the AG program throughout my schooling and started paying close attention to his skills at that point. (He hadn't even started talking until well after he was 2, and would never say anything until he knew how to pronounce it perfectly - no baby talk for him, ever!) He's now going into the 5th grade and is considered "highly gifted" for math in the AG program at his school, he is 2-3 years ahead in math but only on grade level in reading. But kids develop at different rates - encourage what skills your daughter seems to have and have her tested when she reaches elementary school if you still think she is ahead.

Answer by missanc at 9:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• depends. some kids are very advanced at a young age but are not necessarily anything special when they grow up lmao. i know plenty of people like that (myself included)

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Honestly, it all depends on what they are doing. Some children are early developers, but by the time they go to school, their peers have caught up with them. Now, it they are playing the piano, solving high level math equations, or reading Shakespeare (and understanding it) you should look into it, otherwise, just enjoy them and continue to encourage the love they have for learning and think about it again when they go to school.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Does it matter? Just teach them what they're willing to learn and don't push them, at this age everyones kid is gifted in some manner. Wait until they're school aged and then you can worry about wether or not you have the next Einstein.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 9:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• really at age 1-2 worrying about that?
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My daughter was 19 mths old and you would ask her, Her name, where do you live and how old are you? She would answer. She started talking at a very early age. She is 2.5 yrs. old. Even now she can tell you who the president is, vice pres. who are on game shows ect. The preschool teacher said she understands more than a 3 yrs old. The ped doctor said she is very advanced for her age. She knows all her colors, alpht., can count to 15, knows all her shapes. and if my husband is spelling something to me, she will tell us. We do not know how she knows this, but she does,
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• From what I understand, when someone is considered "gifted" it means that their thought process is different than those that are not. A child can be extremely smart or advanced for their age but not considered "gifted".
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, they tested him on different tests and an I.Q. test. They also sent me a huge questionnaire to fill out. He scored all available points on the tests and his I.Q was 120 in 1st grade. So, he was the youngest kid in there and the only first grader. LOL I thought that was weird.
    He is definitely a different minded kid. He taught himself to play the guitar by ear at age 11. He has just built and coded his own website he designed. He got all the computers in his teachers classroom on one program so they could use them all and he set her up as administrator. He does so many random things it's unreal. I just let him go. He even read Shakespeare and The Art of War, for no dang reason, he just wanted to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i noticed my sisters son was "gifted" as you say..from the moment he started walking. banging his head on the floor, never hearing no, yes..funny how some of you consider that a gift.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son and I started out super gifted. Although, neither of us have done anything spectacular with it. I spoke at 4months, walked at 9 months. Read books alone at 2 or 3. But, I am a receptionist making $9.00 an hour. LOL

Some kids start early, some don't even realize their giftedness until adulthood.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010