Question for Christians: how do you deal with losing a loved one who..

..has been resistant to God all of his or her life? How do you cope with knowing that they might have left this life still refusing to choose life in the Lord?

I recently had this happen again, and I like to think about the Lord's mercy. He paid such a high price so that people might be saved. Maybe in the last moments of life He makes Himself known to people so that they have that one last chance to choose Him. I think there will be many people in Heaven waiting for us that we will be pleasantly surprised to see.

I always pray for my family members who have not committed their lives to the Lord, and especially if I know they are nearing death. I like to think that prayer is not wasted.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 9:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say try your best to relax is at all possible. We never truly know a persons heart. The most devote Christian could pass away and we would all naturally assume they went to Heaven. But did they really? Where they really who they claimed to be in their heart? It is something that we will never and could never possibly know. Maybe your loved one was right with the Lord in their heart...you never know.
    Clarity_Faith

Answer by Clarity_Faith at 11:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I do not believe that the ability to chose Christ is limited to life on earth. When someone is in the presence of God, faith and repentence are inevitable. We do not enter into heaven on a technicality. We enter into heaven because God wants us to. I have faith in God that he is in control and that all who are in glory with him one day are there because of his omnipotence and ability as creator to make all things good. It's not for me to worry about.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with 2blondebabies on saying,"God made them who they are for whatever the reason". He made Judas specifically to betray Jesus so the scripture could be fulfilled and he would hang on the cross and save us from our sins. Would a loving God make him pay forever for the purpose he made him for? A question for everyone to ponder. I also agree 100% with NovemberLove. God is love and it is pure. God is responsible for his creation.
    phall1069

Answer by phall1069 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have had this happen many times, sadly. You never truly know what is in someone's heart. I just pray that at the end they did accept Christ.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• That is a hard one. In my 20s I lost someone every year, and not old people, they were all in their 20s as well. But to your questions, I too hope Lord accepts all. It's hard to say though. I have a sibling who isn't religious or spiritual and even is sarcastic about being a hethan. I pray for them daily. I worry too. I just hope that their souls are saved, because after all, God made them who they are for whatever the reason. But I also believe we live more than one life, not that I have enough room to even get into that. But I think some people's lives are troubled and hard because that is what their soul chose for their life lessons right now. But anyways, I too just pray for those who do not know the lord to let him in when he is knocking. But I remind myself, I can only do so much, their life is what it is for reasons beyond my understanding.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I do not think about it. I would love to think they will make it to heaven but it clearly states in the bible what one must do. So I just don't think about it.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I guess it helps that I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in hell, along with other things...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010