What is a good homeschooling curriculum to use?

This will be our first year doing it, any suggestions?

Clarity_Faith

Asked by Clarity_Faith at 9:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• It depends on your goals and the ages of your children. I followed the same basic curriculum of our school district for some subjects. For math I started with Saxxon, which is a very popular math program. Then I later found Math-U-See, which I loved as my sons got into upper level math, it had a DVD instruction for each lesson, and the teacher's manual had not just the answers for problems, but the problems all worked out so I could actually check their work, and with Algebra, Geometry and Pre-Calc, I needed this help. For science, I picked a different theme each semester, and put together my own science, until we got to middle school math. One semester we did dinosaurs, and another we did oceanography, etc., For English and Social Studies, I used the standard school curriculum, but I planned my own special enrichment projects and field trips to go with it.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy this extra time with your kids.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We are also getting ready to start homeschooling. We are doing a christian based curriculum from bob jones university. Also check out Abeka Books, or Sonlight. I have heard good things about all of them.
    homemaker4him

Answer by homemaker4him at 9:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't use a curriculum at all. We are unschoolers, and I can't believe just how much my boys are learning this way.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010