should i start my daughter out with rice cereal or veggies?

rileymommy

Asked by rileymommy at 9:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did cereal for a week cause its mild on the tummy to make sure his tummy can handle it and then went to veggies :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• start with the rice cereal
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• veggies. there's no need to give cereal at all,its constipating

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• When she is at least 6months old and can sit unassisted and put food in her mouth and chew it, I would give her little chinks of avocado, banana or sweet potato. Skip the cereal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• veggies, they're much better for her and it's best to get them liking veggies early so you don't end up with a picky eater. theres no need for rice cereal at all
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Veggies
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I know it is popular in North America to start with rice cereal, but it is not in other countries. I started my kids on veggies - sweet potatoes actually. I found when I did start rice cereal, that it was gassy and constipating - harder for them to digest. Remember that starting babe on solids is merely for the experience, textures, etc, not for nutrition - they should be getting their nutritional needs for the first year from breastmilk or formula. Do what you think is best and see how it goes.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 9:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I started both of my sons on rice cereal at four months. I believe that there are some doctors who are now recommending 6 months, but mine was staying with the four. I liked starting them on the cereal becaue I could control the consistancy. I made it thin at first, then as they began to learn how to work things in their mouth, I thickened it. I than introduced them to vegetables. Squash was my first choice as it was milder in flavor then some vegetables. I choose not to introduce fruits until many different vegetables had been introduced. My reason for this was I did not want them to like the sweet of the fruit more and then not want the vegetables.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Skip cereal. Feed baby small amounts of veggies. 1 tbs once a day at first. Not a lot. Less than 6 months baby should only have breastmilk. After that introduce one veggie, once a day for 3-5 days. Increase slowly.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I was reading this while talking to a kid and swear it said "ice cream or veggies"...... not sure why :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 10:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010