Moral obligation?

If you were to find a security flaw on a social networking site (facebook, twitter, cafemom type site) do you feel that you have an obligation to tell the creators or owners of the site? Do you think it is their problem and they will find it eventually? Do you think that it isn't an obligation, but just a nice thing to do (tell them)?

Let's say that the security flaw doesn't give you address, phone number and such information.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Tell them
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i would probably report it bc that means that my account is not safe either lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would tell them, but then again, I am frequently told I have an over blown sense of morals.

But what if someone were compromised by this flaw. Yes, the creators of the site might find it eventually, but what if someone had something happen in the meantime? What if that person was you?

I would just do it. Consider it paying it forward.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• if you would expect someone to help you out if the tables were turned, then yes, it is a moral obligation. do unto others!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If I use the site, I will tell. It is also in my best interest for them to fix it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• if there's a security breach you should report it to the owner of the site
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yeah, go ahead and tell them. Maybe it's not a moral obligation, but it's a nice thing to do.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010