Trasitioning toddler to own bed

I was wondering what would be the best apporach to getting my almost 2 year old to start to sleep in her own bed. We have been co-sleeping since she was about 5 months old because it was so much easier breastfeeding. Now, my husband is deplyoed overseas, and I would like to try to have her sleeping in her own bed by the time he gets back home in November. We have not had a night alone together since she was born, and I would love to be able to have aleast our bed baby free when he returns ! :) Thank you for any help!

MacyKaysMommy

Asked by MacyKaysMommy at 10:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be very hard but you need to just put her in her bed. Every time she gets out you need to put her back in it. Don't give up. The first few nights may also be very rough. Good Luck
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have been asking this to a lot of people, because I am currently co-sleeping with my son. A few people have mentioned starting with a matress on the floor by the bed, and slowly working her/him further away from the bed and out of the room. It may take a while, and I've heard the first few nights outside the room can be pretty tough, but it made sense to me as a way to ween them out of the bed. Good Luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Go slowly. Get a toddler bed that you put in your room beside your own bed. Then start her out in it either to begin the night or for naps. She will crawl into your bed in the middle of the night likely. (make it a big deal and have a chart showing how many nights she has done this) Then after like 7 nights or so in a row of starting her night in her bed, she gets a reward of some sort.

Then after that you go to sleeping all night in her own bed, then reward again.

Then move the bed slowly out of your room. When she spends 7 nights in her bed out of your room (*even just in hallway) Then another reward.

When she has spend 7 or so nights in her own bed in her own room, the best reward! For my 6 year old it was a pillow pet.
    Make it a SLOW process. No rush. Talk to her about it while it is happening. Make it a GOOD thing. Do NOT punish her. But do start the chart over for a setback. The seven days should be consecutive.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 10:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh and when Dad comes home, expect her to back slide. It may take a bit of time, but not quite as much that second time. But the shock of having him home after so long will make her unsure of herself and make her revert to comfortable old patterns. (maybe.. every child is different!)

OH and let her pick the bedding for her bed! That makes it appealling too.

When I put my 2 year old from her crib into her toddler bed she talked about it being her "big girl bed!" It's about 2-3 months later and she still likes that she sleeps in her big girl bed. :)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 10:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'd start with naps. Make a big deal about how big a girl she is and how big girls get to sleep in big girl beds. You could even take her to the toy store to pick a "friend" to sleep with her. (My daughter likes her gloworm because she can make light anytime she wants and it sings to her). Lay her down for her naps during the day in her big girl bed....lay down with her for the first little while if you have to...until she gets used to it. Once she's good on the nap front, try her at night. Kid's are a lot more adaptable than we give them credit for. Once you start though - don't let her backslide. Consistency is key. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Talk about it with her, let her know that when she's ready, that she'll be moving into her own room. Go shopping and pick out sheets and pillow case, and maybe a new doll. Let her put a doll or her teddy bear in for naps in the new bed. Start a routine like story time that you can continue in the new bed. Get her a night light.
    Good luck!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 11:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010