Is there any harm in not having your period?

I have PCOS and so I often skip my periods.. the longest was about 2 months with out a period ( and wasnt pregnant) ... and now I havent had one since November but I am not pregnant but I am unable to see a DR until aug. and I havent seen one since it has been missing...

I am only 22, and I am not planning on having any more kids.... so is there any harm in not getting my period ( like a medical reason why I need it?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• not really but it would be difficult to tell if you were pregnant or not
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• not really. although I have heard that it helps "clean" our blood some and men are recommended to give blood once a month since they don't have periods. But that could be false
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• There is no medical reason to have a period other than getting pregnant. But I would still be careful to not get pregnant if that is not something you want.
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 10:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• This is one of those things that has changed over the years. Years ago, they said no, you should not skip your period as you needed to shed the lining of the uterus. Several years ago they changed their minds and said you only needed about four periods a year and even developed a pill that allowed for this. Recently, I have heard that they are saying that you don't even need those four a year. I know my cousin has not had her period in years, she just keeps taking the active pills of her birth control pills and just tosses the placebo pills.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yes!
    your cycle is a window to your health! your body is telling you something is wrong. if you do not listen now, what will your body say to you next?
    look up natural solutions for pcos. you should find some dietary suggestions.
    you are too young to dismiss your health!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• mrsmamaj and layh, you sound like commercials for the pharmaceutical companies that stop your periods with drugs!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010