formula

i'm due in about a week or so and i need to stock up on formula. i can't bf because a few years ago i had a bunch of fibroids in my breasts, i had them removed but after that i can't bf. what is the best formula i can get that is inexpensive but has lots of dha, and gives my baby all the nourishment she needs. names, stores, and prices are appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly, I used the walmart brand and had no problems with it! Parents Choice.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If you qualify for EIC then what ever they provide. Also there is not a need to explain why you can't BF. If someone gets upset about it then they should just move on & mind there own business.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I know you are thinking ahead and would like to stock up and that idea is ideal...but it would be a waste of money to stock up and to find out that your baby can't use that type of formula. I would wait on the stock up and give it a few weeks to make sure that he/she is adjusting well to the type of formula you've chosen.
    Congrats on baby! ")
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I used the Enfamil Premium. It had the DHA, plus immunity boosters and something for eye development. It can be bought at Wal Mart, Target and I would get some coupons in the mail.

I would also get samples from my pediatrician.

Prices are hard to say because of the different sizes and I have noticed that the price was even different at two different Targets It was about $19 for a 20 oz can, I believe.
    But look for sales!! Walmart, Target and drug stores like CVS and Rite Aid often have these products on sale.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh, and Kimberlyinberea has a very good point. My oldest son need soy formula and my youngest needed the Gentlease formula, so stocking up might not be a good idea until you know what you need.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i use parents choice advantage. it is developed to be more like breast milk. my baby boy is 7 weeks old and hasnt had any problems. it is $11.88 for the big can 23oz. oh and its sold at walmart.
    2boysmommi

Answer by 2boysmommi at 10:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Don't stock up yet. You have no idea how your baby will respond. It can take weeks or months to find a formula that agrees with your baby. (I breastfed for the first six months and formula fed afterward). My daughter did great on Costco's Generic (Kirkland Brand) $18.00 for two large cans. The formula is almost identical to Enfamil and Similac's. My son did horribly on it...and Similac Advance...and Similac Sensitive...Soy ended up being his answer.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• When you decide which formula you'll end up using, call the company or go online. Many of them will send coupons.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I am mostly breastfeeding but I do supplement with similac in the blue can I dont know the name but you can go to similic.com and get tons of $5 off coupons sent to you at home and you can also go to emfamil.com and have them send you coupons. But I would not stock up until you find the formula that works best for your baby.
    Brooklynsmom82

Answer by Brooklynsmom82 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I used safeway brand, walmart brand, and similac. They all were fine. My doc says store brands are teh same as name. They are all regulated :) If you qualify for wic, they use similac. I wouldnt stock up yet though. Baby could have a milk allergy to the milk based and need soy, or have reflux and need the sensitive, etc
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010