How is your relation ship with your MIL?

Mine sucks! She is seriously crazy especially when she forgets her meds. And very self centered but I think that is just a personal problem not medical.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• It started out badly, but it's better now. We're friendly acquaintances, I guess. She's only 10 years older than me, so I think that causes some tension, because it's hard for me to accept any kind of "mothering" or "motherly advice" from someone so close to my age. She and I are very different in personality too. In the beginning, I felt very unwelcome and unliked, and reacted accordingly. I think we've managed to form a truce of sorts now.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 1:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• MIL = NIL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My MIL is great!!! Love her! But my husbands MIL (my mom) not so great haha
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 10:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Mine takes too many. And expects me to do everything for her. It's really freaking annoying. And since we all live right near each other it's like a bad episode of Everybody Loves Raymond everyday. Yuck.
    emicek24

Answer by emicek24 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i love her!! she's a young mom like me and we get along great
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We don't have a relationship, she hates me. (DH and I have been together for almost 20 yrs)

She has been very sick, we flew home for 2 weeks. No one was taking care of her (FIL is there and SIL lives 25 ft away) I took care of her meds, gave her shots, showered her, cleaned her up (she wet the bed every night), transfered her (bed to chair-chair to toilet etc.),did the laundry, cooked, took care of the animals (goats & geese), and cleaned.
    DH recently told her that I loved her, her response "she has a funny way of showing it". Are you FU%$#@! kidding me??? Her own kids would not do anything for her, I give up.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 10:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have a great relationship with my MIL, we talk on the phone all the time and when I'm in town she takes me shopping. I couldnt have asked for a better MIL
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Same as Kathy, I have been married for almost 20 years. That woman hates me. She doesn't even know me, even after all these years so it's hard to take it personally. All she knows is that I have usurped her position, whatever that means.

The day after Christmas last year she finally cut her son, my husband out of her life forever. We are in good company however. She cut three of her grandchildren out, including my husband's son from an earlier relationship, along with various other members of the family.

I read the book "Toxic Inlaws" which really helped. Good luck with yours.
    janel123

Answer by janel123 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• we.... tolerate eachother i guess. she likes to dictate everything we do with our son (even from another state) and she is passive aggressive which totally drives me up the wall. she fails to realize times have changed.... we disagree on everything. when my son was born, and we were installing the carseat she told me it didn't HAVE to be rear-faced if it was in the backseat. i mean, she got defensive about it and basically threw a tantrum in the parking lot. jesus! i wanted to hit her lol! i plan on extended rear facing and she just about dies over it. "oh, his poor legs, they can't see, blah blah blah". she even suggested i just hold my son in my lap so we could drive up the road...... he will NEVER be left there alone. i guess she doesn't realize this isn't the damn 50's anymore. she talks crap about me to DH. i'm dealing with PPD, and she swears i'm just over reacting. she's a hard, hard woman. that's the jist of it, lol.
    MrsDex

Answer by MrsDex at 11:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I probably treat her better than her own kids.  Her oldest daughter ignores her unless she needs something.  Her other daughter takes advantage of her and my husband ignores her.

Actually, that's how things used to be.  Now she has Parkinson's and early onset Alzheimer's.  She probably doesn't even know who I am (I haven't seen her in 3 years because she lives in another state).  She's only 68.  It's sad.  I don't know how he's planning to do it but my husband wants to visit her after the baby is born in 2 weeks.  But we don't have a car and they live 8 hours away.  She's probably not going to be around much longer.  She's refusing to do her treatments, won't wear her c-pap and is constantly falling and breaking bones.  I'm going to miss her.  She is a sweet lady and welcomed me into her family with open arms.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2010