does my baby have colic?

i've been doing some research to see if my baby has colic but i'm confused. Half of my friends and family say she has colic and half say no its not. My baby girl is 5 weeks old, she's fusy every day around 6pm-8pm and sometimes in the afternoons around 1pm-3pm...i try everything to calm her down but nothing works and she does NOT scream in pain but she fusses and cries like she's so aggravated. I can here her belly growl sometimes which MIGHT be hunger noises but i try to have her eat every 4 hours...but sometimes she doesnt last and i have to give her in 3 hours. Also she farts and burps a lot throughout the whole day.

PeruvianMami954

Asked by PeruvianMami954 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• doesn't sound like it to me. babies have fussy periods. feed for for sure when she is hungry, even if it doesn't seem time
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm just gonna toss in my 2cents, take it how you will
    My first son was diagnosed with colic. I was 17 had no clue so just went with it and put up with it. 8 years later I had my daughter SAME symptoms and everything, she was diagnosed with acid reflux. Meds helped!
    I personally feel that colic is a blanket diagnosis for "we don't know what's wrong and don't want to look"

with the burping, especially if it's not right after eating, I'd say ask her pedi about reflux
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• but she's not spitting up...almost never...
    PeruvianMami954

Comment by PeruvianMami954 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm not saying make a special appointment or anything, especially if you can handle it. Just at her next check up, mention it to the dr and get their professional opinion on it.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Probably not...a lot of new babies cry like that until you figure out what their issue is. Often times it is gas...mylicon drops or gripe water might help with that. Pedaling her feet. Giving her a tummy massage starting at the belly button and working outward in a circular motion. As for feeding...if she's hungry, feed her. Don't make her wait. She'll be overly hungry and over eat which can cause more stomach upset. Every three hours is closer to average. Plus, you want her to eat as often as possible during the day so that she gets all the calories she needs so she doesn't have to get up at night. What are you feeding her? If she is formula fed, try a sensitive formula or soy and see if that helps. If she's breastfed...is there something you're eating approx. 2-6 hours before her cranky periods? If so...cut it out of your diet and see if that helps. (with my daughter it was mango). it could also be she needs mo
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• ...more sleep. Try lulling her to sleep right before when one of her cranky periods would usually start and see if that is it. Some babies get SUPER CRANKY when they're overly tired.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Most babies have a fussy period, and it tends to be around dinner time. It's hunger/tired/bored/ wanna get your attention time of the day. It'll pass soon enough!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 10:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Acid Reflux or GERD is also a possibility. Symptoms can be pushing bottle/breast away when clearly hungry, not sleeping well in a laying position, not playing well in a laying position, excessive drooling, spit up, poor sleeping, crankiness, etc. My son has GERD...meds help A LOT.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Read the book "the happiest baby on the block."
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• thanks ladies!! very helpful!! and i am both formula and breastfeeding...formula i have no choice but to give her what WIC provides which is Good Start and i'll start focusing on if i'm eating anything in particular around that time. i have a check up tomorrow and will ask the MD...just wanted to check on here first because i always feel bad for bombarding the MD with 50 million questions :/
    PeruvianMami954

Comment by PeruvianMami954 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010