is it ok to put my baby to sleep wide awake. he is 7 weeks old and i want him to learn how to fall asleep on his own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes
    USPS-I-DELIVER

Answer by USPS-I-DELIVER at 10:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my daughter would put herself to sleep when she was a newborn. my sons not so much lol. just try and see. you can't really expect too much until they are around 6 months though
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Mine were drowsy after eating, and this is when I would put them in for a nap. If they were wide awake I would lay them where I could keep an eye on them, with some toys they could bat at and watch, rather than put them in for a nap.

Answer by Bmat at 10:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• thats really young to try sleep training... babies that young still need alot of comfort and reassurance. thats awesome if you can get it to work for you though...i would google it...
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Good luck with that... It would never work for my kids, but then again, I wouldn't let them cry themselves to sleep. You will not be create bad sleep habits to hold them until they sleep... you cannot spoil a baby!
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I always rocked or nursed my babies to sleep. They will only be this little and cuddly for a short time, so I say enjoy it. There's nothing sweeter than rocking a sleeping baby:)
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Wide awake? No. Drowsy? Yes. I've put my daughter down wide awake and then spent the next 30 minutes to an hour going in & out of her room trying to get her to go to sleep by patting her tummy, giving her the paci, etc. I just wait until I start seeing sleepy cues and then we start the bedtime or naptime routine.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Way too early to expect success. Sleep training advocates recommend six MONTHS at the earliest. You CAN do it. Be unsurprised by ANY result, including more waking. They sleep when THEY are ready. What we want has nothing at all to do with it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with journey. Don't put him/her down wide awake, they need to be drowsy and already falling asleep.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You can try for drowsy, but I don't think wide awake is going to work well. And PLEASE don't leave a 7 week old baby in there to cry themselves to sleep.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2010