My baby won't sleep on his back...

My son will be 6 mo. on July 8, lately he refuses to sleep on his back. I have tried the sleep wedges but when I checked him this morning he had rolled onto his belly within the wedges. I was wondering do you think it is a big issue that he sleeps on his belly? He can roll from belly to back and over again and has great upper body strength, around what age do you think it is alright and not a worry to have them sleep on their belly?

JennaJ721

Asked by JennaJ721 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think it is a big issue. None of mine like sleeping on there back.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son did the same thing, so then I just let him sleep on his belly and he is fine.. He's now 2 years old. But Im not exactly sure what the safe age would be.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 10:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Not an issue at all. When they're developmentally able to get themselves into the stomach laying position, then it is safe for them to sleep there. You're still supposed to lay them down on their backs but don't worry if they end up on their stomachs. By 6 mo. the risk of SIDS and suffocation are dramatically decreased.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If he can roll then it's out of your hands...just make sure there are no blankets or anything he can caught in:)
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 10:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• At 6 months, I would let him sleep any way that is comfortable to him. Just make sure that there are not any stuffed animals, pillows, or thick blankets in the bed with him.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• if they can roll then they are ok for belly sleeping and you don't have to worry about sids as long as there is nothing in the crib with him (including that wedge)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• if he is able to flip from back to front and back again then you shouldn't worry about it. He's old enough that you don't need to worry about him sleeping on his stomach. Just make sure that his bedding isn't thick.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 10:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The risk of SIDS is reduced when they are able to roll over themselves. As others have stated, make sure that there is not anything in his crib with him, this includes bumpers, and keep putting him down on his back . Also, make sure you are not over dressing the little one. You do not want to over heat him.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have 4 kids and with all of them as soon as they could roll over they slept on their stomachs and their doctors all said that was fine (not that there is anything you can do to stop them).

My youngest was a tummy sleeper since she was 3 months.  That's when she started rolling over.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• As the others before me have said, if he's rolling himself it's no big deal. Just ditch fluffy blankets in the crib. I use a sleep sack because if I didn't my dd wouldn't stay covered, she is all over the place when she sleeps.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2010