Can anyone answer this for me???

Another Cafemom had posted something about how each person was measuring. So since I havent been measured by my old obgyn I was very curious and was wondering. I proceeded to look it up on google on how to measure your belly and it said from the top of your pubic bone to the top of your uterus. So here is my question I am 20 weeks and 2 days pregnant when I measured myself it was about 24 1/2 cm. So what does this mean? Am I measuring bigger than what I am supposed to and if so then what does that mean? Does it mean she is going to be a big girl? We have big babies in my family. I was 8lbs and 14 oz. and my husband was also the same. I have a step daughter and she was 8lbs and 6 oz. But My brother was was 10lbs 1 oz, Sister almost 9lbs and my youngest brother was also almost 10 lbs. I would greatly appreciate the answers. I feel that I am alot bigger than I should be.

confusedgirl919

Asked by confusedgirl919 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• some ob do not measure bc it is really not a reliable way to measure your progress. that's what i had 4 different ob tell me anyway lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I was always measuring big. At 32 weeks I measured 41ish. My daughter was 8lbs 11oz. I only gained 18.5 pounds during my whole pregnancy.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think my OB just measures just to see if your growing....if you get smaller or there's no change from apt to apt....then they'd probably follow up with a sono to get a more acurate measurement of the baby and how it's growing..
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The average measurement is about 1 cm per week of pregnancy, so at 20 weeks it "should" be 20 cm. It's really a way to measure growth more than anything -- to measure progress from week to week, as opposed to where you're at right now, if that makes sense. If your uterus doesn't grow enough or grows to quickly, it could indicate problems, and they'll schedule and ultrasound to check it out. Who's doing the measuring also makes a difference; different doctors can have slightly different ways of measuring that cause their numbers to be a little bit off from each other. But one measurement means very little, and it never means anything as far as baby's size; the best indicator of that is genetics, so if both your and your husband's families are prone to big babies, you'll probably have big babies, too.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You're only half-way through...wait a bit longer;) I was measuring over 40 weeks for along time due to excessive amniotic fluid. Son was nearly 9 lbs. a week early as well.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 10:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• it is hard to measure yourself too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I had a ton of amnion and was measuring up to 4 weeks ahead sometimes. You also may not be feeling your uterus and be up too high. I wouldnt worry about it. Its just a guess anyways. My son was 8lb 8oz a week early. So he wasnt huge eventhough i was way ahead.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Just because you were big doesn't mean you baby will be. I was 8lbs 14ozs and 23in long. My son was 7lbs8ozs and 19in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thank you ladies so much. I was just curious. Im not to worried atleast not yet, lol!! But yeah I def. think that since we both have big babies in our family I am doomed. JK!! Thank you again!!
    confusedgirl919

Comment by confusedgirl919 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree, size of your belly doesnt mean big baby. I was almost 10lbs, same with daddy, and my kids both were 7lb14, 7lb15. It's all a guessing game.
    ibdezy

Answer by ibdezy at 8:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010