Should a wife collect her husband's pension if he passes away?

Mt father was a Norwegian citizen but lived here on a visa. My Mother, (age 63), and all us kids are American. My father passed this last April 1. The pension would only go to my mother, which is what we want.
But the Norwegian counselate have been taking their time processing paper work.

Mommy2mj

Asked by Mommy2mj at 10:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• If they are allowed to then I don't see the problem. Is there a way to get the US Embassy that is there involved?
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes I think a wife should specially if she was a sahm and had children. Which from the rest of your post she did :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, It should. Sorry for your loss. "hugs"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We have no idea, I have a cousin over there who asked us for three weeks to allow him to talk to the counselate there on behalf of my Mom. But if this does not work than I have no idea what to do.
    I am afraid the US embassy may not find this too important. But I will give my cousin the idea.
    Mommy2mj

Comment by Mommy2mj (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thanks.
    Mommy2mj

• It depends on the conditions in the pension plan. Sometimes the wife gets most or all, sometimes just a portion.

Answer by Bmat at 10:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• What's in the plan is she gets a portion, right now she recieves nothing. The thing is she's in the untied states and they would rather her go to social security first.
    Mommy2mj

Comment by Mommy2mj (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• She should be able to collect the pension. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Daltonswife

Answer by Daltonswife at 11:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Was the company not a US company? My (bio) father is a dual citizen and works for the american govt, his home country will not be involved when he passes away as long as he is still in the US when he dies (we already checked into this).
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I am sorry for your loss, I'm sure this is all especially trying at an already bad time.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here....the pension is given by the Norwegian gov't to Norwegian citizens. The citizen has passed away and perhaps they feel like they shouldn't be supporting an American citizen with Norwegian tax dollars when the American citizen can collect from the American gov't.

I'm not saying this is the situation, they could just be taking a long time and it may eventually happen, but this could be the way they are looking at it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010