How does not beliving in God translate into not beliving in anything?

I reall ydon't understand the line of thinking that if someone doesn't believe in God or the supernatural then they therefore must not believe in anything at all. Where does this mentality come from?

KristiS11384

Asked by KristiS11384 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• since it's all here because of him

Wait. let me see If I'm getting what you're saying. Because people believe God created EVERYTHING, if we dont' believe in God we must not believe in anything since God "created" it all. Is that the jist of what you were trying to say?
    ********************
    see?! it made sense in my head!
    *******************************
    Alanplus3 said "I think (and could be wrong) that it comes from everyone being so use to believing = faith in god so they think no faith in god must = not believing in any thing."

that is pretty much what I was getting at...she said it better though ;)

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think (and could be wrong) that it comes from everyone being so use to believing = faith in god so they think no faith in god must = not believing in any thing.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think that most people really have no clue what an atheist is, so they make their own assumptions.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think that a lot of people think that -if someone doesn't believe in God...they Must either be a Satan worshipper or believe in nothing at all. I think they have a hard time grasping the fact that we can believe in ourselves, the good in the world, that there will be a beautiful sunset or whatever- so that means we believe in SOMETHING...just not a God and there are those who equate the beauty in the world with God so therefore we MUST deep down be believers! *you know , since it's all here because of him ;)

did that make sense? sometimes it seems way better in my head than written out!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Believe in science? Science isn't a belief. It's a description of observable data. A person can read something that is scientically observed, and attempt to replicate it (as science demands) and confirm the data, as observed, or negate the data as they have scientically observed. It's not a belief system. It's a descriptive system. It changes as new information is obtained, it adapts to new empirical information is registered.

"faith" is believing without evidence. The two things (science and faith) have nothing to do with each other.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 10:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No clue.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The last time I asked what athiests believed in someone griped me out by saying why should athiests believe in anything. So I assumed they either believe in nothing or in science. And I never talked to one again.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 10:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It just seems that those who aren't religious don't believe 100% in something. Especially when they have the "What's right for you is right for you" mentality. If you don't reject other people's idea of the truth to exclusively believe something...it just seems watered down.

That doesn't mean you don't believe in anything just for not believing in God...just saying that's where people get the idea.
    NewMom2RAD

Answer by NewMom2RAD at 10:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I know what the headline question entailed BUT she went on to say that everybody believes in something.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• since it's all here because of him

KristiS11384

Comment by KristiS11384 (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010