WHEN DID YOU PUT YOUR CHILD IN SWIM LESSONS?

I HAVE HEARD OF PPL PUTTING THEIR KIDS IN CLASSES AS SOON AS 6 MONTHS. MY SON IS 18 MONTHS AND I AM GOING TO PUT HIM IN THEM. HAS ANYONE HAD GOOD RESULTS WITH EARLY SWIMMING? DID ANY1 WHO STARTED LATER HAVE DIFFICULTIUES?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 10:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Our local pool offers "tiny tots" from 12-18 months up to 3-4 years. My 3rd child is 5 and even though I didn't think she was ready the pool manager (our neighbor, I trust her) said she's definitely ready for regular lessons. My older 2 started at 5 or 6 too and did fine and are now total fish.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My daughter is signed up and she is 2.5 years old.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i'm going to sign my 4 year old for classes soon. just yesterday she started jumping into the pool and swimming underwater without a float... so i think she's ready for the "basics"... i don't really see the point in doing it before that point. (just my opinion)... i'm always in the water with them and get them to practice. i never took swim lessons, my dad threw me into the pool when we lived in hawaii... thats how i learned. lol! (i asked him to.) i was on swim team in high school, too.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I put my son in swimming lessons for the first time this year, and he's 4. He did great, there was a kid that had just turned 2 and he did not do too great, he wasn't really able to understand what they were supposed to do.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 11:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• See what ages the classes are designed for. I put mine in when he was three into a mom and me swim class for ages 6 months to 3. The little ones all did very nicely.

Answer by Bmat at 11:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son was 3 or 4. He's my oldest and the only one I put in swimming lessons and only once. I didn't like the pressure they put on the kids in his particular class. They actually pushed them into the water and harped on them "You will fail your test!" After that I just worked with on my own and we enrolled in an athletic club with indoor and outdoor pools he can use. My middle child is 6 and has been swimming about a year now with no lessons.

I am not trashing lessons, but I think semi private lessons with a small group is probably more the way to go with ages 3 and up. I think early swim lessons will be fun for both of you. My youngest is almost three and she's been going to the pool with us since she was 6 mos old and she loves the water. Again though we will just teach her on our own.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I did it at 4 because that was when I had the opportunity. He was swan diving and swimming from the deep to the shallow by the end of two weeks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• personally, I wouldn't do it before age 3.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My dd went the summers she was 5 and then again at 6. My son is now 5 so he will go, and my dd, now 10 , will go too so she won't have to sit and be bored with me. We'll do it again next summer as well.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2010