What are some flowers, plants that can be grown locally in the dessert region of Arizona, and near Las Vegas, and do you grow any if you are from there.

It's interesting to see who is organic minded, or green in such a hardened economy

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 10:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I do not live in your region but my friend's mom was able to get Mexican Heathers to thrive very well in Phoenix, AZ. You definitely want to look for hardy, all day/majority of the day sunlight perrineals to plant. Hope I helped
    angieland2010

Answer by angieland2010 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I really, really want to plant a vegetable garden, but I'm trying to figure out what to plant in Arizona too! People have suggested lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, and all kinds of herbs. I think it really depends on the location in your yard and the shade that you can provide. Surprisingly, I see a lot of people plant roses here. Hopefully someone else will post and give some better ideas!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Not an answer... But I thought it said legally! I was thinking why would it be illegal to grow some plants! I need to go to bed now obviously...
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I live in the Phoenix area, I recently picked up a great book called Extreme Gardening by Dave Owens "The Garden Guy". It has great info on vegetable gardening in the low desert. I had it recommended to me. I found it after an online search. I new to the area and new to gardening. The biggest thing I found out was vegetable gardening here is nothing like gardening anywhere else. Especially watering rules. With that said I am growing tomatoes, peppers, watermelons, cantaloupe, and summer squash for the summer. Oh yea, and the basil, rosemary, and sage are doing really good.
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2010