help! he gets his legs stuck in the crib rails....

My son is 18 months and when he is throwing a fit because he doesnt want to sleep(even if hes exhausted) he sticks his legs through the rails and gets them stuck. The first time was an accident but then after that he does it because he knows I will go in the room to help him. What can I do to stop him from hurting himself? I really think hes too young for a toddler bed, and REALLY don't want to buy a whole new crib.... )=

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 11:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly he may be ready for a toddler bed. I had my first in one at 11 months cause she tried climbing out and then my youngest at 14 months because she kept tgetting her legs stuck in the rails. She didn;t throw tantrums to do it though. Just the way she slept she would always get her leg stuck. Scared me her little leg would be so red and her leg would be cold from it so I did this for a while I would take a flat sheet put it under the mattress and bring the sides out over the rails so that the sheet was over the rails that worked for a while then she would pull down the sheet so I gave up and decided to put her in the toddler bed
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• go ahead and do the toddler bed. a lot of kids do better with them earlier.
    my first son had a mattress on the floor at 6 months. my second stayed in my bed until almost two, my 3rd boy went to a toddler bed at 15 months i think!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son was doing the same thing at 11 months old, so for his birthday we got him a car bed. It can be used for toddler sized and twin sized mattress so he will be able to use it for a long time.http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/73/35/38/74/0073353874349_500X500.jpg
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you need a crib bumper. i have the mesh one and it worked better than the fluffy one imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• He can hurt himself. It's time to take him to a toddler bed or even just his crib mattress on the floor. He could break his leg trying to get it out. Even if he does it on purpose once he's started you aren't going to be able to break him of it.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree that it is time for a toddler bed.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 11:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If worse come to worse put his matress on the floor, or maybe get a long blanket and rap it in and out of each bar so he can't get his leg in there. Or take a sheet and have it fit tightly under the matress and drap over the crib so the inside of the crib will have the sheet over the bars..... just an idea... good luck!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my son did that so we switched him to a toddler bed.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• toddler bed time!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Time to switch to a "big boy" bed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010