My six year old still throws tantrums. I have tried time outs for that for him. How do I get him to stop?

karalynsunshine

Asked by karalynsunshine at 11:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• for tantrums the main thing to do is to ignore them. they do it for attention and when you don't give them the attention they will stop. iknow it's hard but that's the only thing that works. i just pretend they are not even there
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Well I have a younger child with tantrum issues, he is also autistic, but his therapists said to let him have it out. As long as he isn't hurting himself or others let him have it out. We do this with my son and when he realizes he doesn't get attention for acting like that he stops.
    angieland2010

Answer by angieland2010 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i am trying to get my child to express himself verbally. we are trying different things, going to his room usually.
    also, i am trying to stay calm myself. he can really push me!
    i am hoping kindergarten will help too!
    dh and i are finally on the same page with him, and i think that will help a ton!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son will be 6 in august and we have dealt w/ this so bad and its really unreal because my son is the most sweetest boy. I ended up talking to his kindergarten teacher about it and she recommended the 1 2 3. count to 3 and if you get to 3 and they don't stop take away there fave toy, privelage, etc... My son acted out and I gave him til 3 w/ a warning, he didnt stop so he lost a play date. Can I tell you how well that worked? He has barely acted up since then. But you really have to follow thru w/ it. And I agree don't let the tantrum get to you to where he may see it. That will only make it worse. Good luck to you!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• sometimes you have to embarrass him. if you are out in public, tell him that every one is going to look at him and see he is miss behaving and want him to leave. or start laughing at him and tell him he looks silly and go into another room and ignore it. sometimes those work, depending on you kid.
    elizabugsmommy

Answer by elizabugsmommy at 11:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My six year old was still throwing tantrums in school this year and wining and his friends teased him, didn't bother him though so one morning i was trying to get him ready for school and he started whining and throwing a tantrum and I asked him if he was a baby and needed a bottle and diapers again? after that the tantrums quit.
    MBax

Answer by MBax at 11:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Trust me kids at young ages are prone to throwing fits. Im a mother to be. But i have many youger siblings. And my little sis is 7 and still throws fits about the smallest things. Its nothing to be too worried about. The more you yell and show them attention they'll tend to keep it up. In my case, i will walk about dont even look at them, and they will simmer down. Some disipline will prolly correct the prob.
    JayJay15939

Answer by JayJay15939 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Depending on the issue, I ignore it. If my dd is having a hard time with something I will go and hug her and we will talk once she has calmed down.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Ignore them. If they know that they can get to you by doing this, they will continue to keep doing this. The hard part will be to keep your sanity, but don't give up.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think the goal of a tantrum is to try to get a reaction out of you. If my child was still having tantrums. I would ask them to go to their room until they finished, if they refused to go, i would pick him up and carry him to his room and close the door. Be nonchalant about it, as if it doesnt bother you at all. Afterwards tell him that its not acceptable, and that you are no longer going to tolerate them. Removing him from disrupting the entire household is the only thing that is going to help. Good luck.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2010