What do you really think about unschoolers?

My boys are only 4 and 6, but we've been unschooling them their entire lives, and plan on continuing to do so thru high school, and beyond. My 6 year old just had his yearly evaluation, per state requirements, and he is well ahead of where he is expected to be at this age. In fact my 4 year old could have passed that evaluation.

What most people fail to realize is that once you leave the constraints of school behind you, everyone essentially becomes unschoolers. They find a passion for something, set goals, and do what is necessary to accomplish those goals. I'm so happy that my boys get to spend their entire lives following their interests, instead of being spoon-fed information they may never need or use.

If you don't know what unchooling is, google is your friend!

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As an educator (I teach Kindergarten in a charter school that is somewhat traditional) my views on education is that every child is an individual and learns in his or her own way, find what meets them best and go with it. If it is private school, fine, homeschooling, great, unschooling, awesome. We have many choices in this country and learning should be fun. Some kids do need structure though and some kids are bored within it. Find what works for your child. Don't try to fore him or her into a learning environment that isn't natural for him or her. You may like the idea of Waldorf or the most popular private school and they may hate it. I will say learning about topics that may not have been my initial interest has often opened my mind and widened my world.
    sassfire

Answer by sassfire at 4:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• wouldn't it just be easier to explain what unschooling is in your post? just asking
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• unschooling.com
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think that I can't judge it because I really don't understand it. However from what I've seen portrayed on TV it's a terrible idea (shows like wife swap) but I understand that those are tv dramatized so I really have no idea what unschooling is in reality.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 11:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• To be honest with you I didn't even know what it is... but I will be googling it! I thought first when I read the title at unschooler was home schooled, but I will look it up... it should interesting.
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Are you talking about homeschooling? Look, I think its fantastic and has so many benefits...if you can handle it. Im afraid I would go half mad trying to teach my children at home. I need that space from them while they are at school to recharge my batteries, and organise the housework etc. But good on you for doing it, and Im pleased its working for you and your boys!
    dayle7

Answer by dayle7 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I could have explained it in my post, but with the internet, information is only just a few clicks away. And people will learn so much more finding that information for themselves, than just reading any short definition I could give.
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Honestly, it's not something I'd choose for my child.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• if it works for you, yay! i wouldn't be able to do it.. i watched wife swap one time with the woman who homeschools her kids.. and they don't really learn anything, they just play and play, and she tried to teach the other kids.. COD. and couldn't remember what it was.. if you're gonna do it, be prepared lol cash on demand.. who can't remember that..
    if my son does good in public school.. i'll keep him there.. until then.. he's only so young and has 4 more years till he hits kindergarten
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I just read what unschooling is and I think it is interesting. Not for our household, but interesting.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 11:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010