Why is my 4-year-old HUMPING everything?!

My daughter is really worrying me. When she was about a year old, she started laying on the floor, and moving up and down in a humping motion. It seemed to have stopped, until recently. She has taken to going into her room, closing the door, and HUMPING her baby dolls. No matter how many times I have asked her why, she always responds the same, 'I don't know.' My husband finally caught her yesterday, and she told him, 'It makes my butt-butt [her private area] feel better.' I have asked her repeatedly to STOP, and explained to her she is not in trouble, but she just can't do that anymore. She agrees, and as SOON as I am out of the room, she's back at it. She turns the dolls head-down and does this. Tonight I came home from work, to find her sleeping in footie pj's, with the baby zipped up inside. My co-workers claim to 'guarantee' that someone must have abused her. NEVER to my knowledge, but it scares me. Is this normal? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does she have a yeast infection and it's itching her? that's what it sounds like to me
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My friend told me she had an orgasm when she was five by playing and rubbing up on the monkey bars.
    michelle146

Answer by michelle146 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Talk to your pediatrician. I think if there is reason to suspect you own it to your daughter to check it out. GL and here is hoping it is nothing.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• She may just be exploring the face that friction on her vagina feels good. it is normal for kids anywhere from 1 and a half to 6 to discover the pleasure of their "private parts". Maybe just tell her she can only do it when she goes to bed because that's private.

If you tell her not to she will think there is something wrong with her body, because it feels good to her, but really we all know it feels good to every adult, and kids are not numb.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i think you should take her to a doctor and a child psychologist, sometimes something may have happened and a doctor can check for evidence of abuse and a psychologist can find ways of distinguishing what that behavior is and where it is coming from. it might not even be nothing at all, i saw my moms friends kid do somethings similar to that, she rub her parts on the bed frame and when we told her to stop, she said it felt good. that was when she was in kindergarden and i was in middle school.
    elizabugsmommy

Answer by elizabugsmommy at 11:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• fact***not face :)
    DomoniqueWS

• Children masturbate. It is a natural, normal thing. If her doctor finds nothing wrong with her physically, and you're sure she's not been molested, then you can pretty much leave it at masturbation. Even the tiniest bodies can orgasm and even just feel good. When children discover their bodies, they will explore until they get bored with it, or do it when they need comforting. Telling her not to do it will make her do it more. If it's something you don't want to see, then do what we do. We have a privacy rule in our home. They are free to do that stuff only during bath/shower time and in the privacy of their rooms when alone. If it comes to a point where she is constantly doing it, take her back to the doctor and discuss it. If it's out of hand, it might require therapy. That doesn't mean she's crazy, it will just help her find other ways to feel good, and find out why she needs to do it so much. CONTINUED...
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh wow this is a toughie...I would have a long talk with the pediatrician about how to deal with this. Ya know this lady on the Tyra banks show said she had a constant feeling have needing to orgasm and it has been untreatable or incurable. Maybe she has a feeling that she's trying to get rid of and this is what she doe to handle it. But I also would have a therapist talk to her about any concerns of molestation. You just never know but I HOPE that is not he case.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 11:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's hard for little ones to properly explain themselves, and sometimes they really don't know why they do what they do. But if you and your husband freak out about it, you'll make it worse. Not only will you convey the message that she's nasty/dirty/whatever else, but you will make her feel ashamed of herself and her body, even if you don't mean to.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no need to take her to a therapist...seriously save your money....check for sexual abuse if you think there is something going on, even if you don't, have a doc check her

but it is totally normal for kids to "masturbate" she has the same parts you and I do
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010