How to transition from Co-Sleeping to Sleeping in his own room?

My DS will be two in September and we currently co-sleep. I have to say I love it. Knowing he is safe makes it easier for me to sleep. However he is getting bigger now and starting to toss and turn. To frank our bed just isn't big enough so I think it might be time to move DS into his own bed. Other co-sleeping momas: How did you start the transition?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 11:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did it slowly. I put her in her playpen to sleep (she hated her crib anyway) RIGHT beside me in the bed. She cried for a few days and I'm weak so I laid in my bed so she could see me until she fell asleep. Then when she got used to that, I moved it across the room but I still stayed in the bed until she fell asleep. I did that for a week or so. Then when she was used to that, I moved it into her bedroom after she fell asleep a few times. LOL, I don't remember how well that worked but she just turned 3 (and she was ONE when the transition happened) and sleeps in her own bed. Good luck! It's not easy, that's for sure.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm there with you. Stumped. I put together his toddler bed and bought the mattress yesterday. I never got him a crib (what for, he slept with us). He was soooo excited when he saw it and kept saying it was his and lying on it. When it came time to go to sleep he pointed to our bed and signed "milk." He wanted me to nurse him in our bed LOL! I'm not gonna push it. Honestly, I see him sleeping with us for a while longer.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We started the transition at birth. We co-slept (used a co-sleeper), but we put our kids in their own rooms in their crib during the day when they were asleep. When we transitioned them, they had absolutely no problems as they were used to their rooms and their cribs from having slept in them during their naps. Our son woke up a few times during the first few nights of the transition but after that, he was fine. Our daughter had no problems with it.
    tippymorgan08

Answer by tippymorgan08 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2010