How do you handle lying?

He (7) always gets caught, I don't know why he bothers. What punishment do you give for lying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it depends..... if it's something major i would ground him. something minor time out and then explain to me why lying is wrong
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The lying thing is minor. Its more like: (Me) Have you been to the bathroom? (Son) Yes.... (lying)
    I would ask him again and if he admits it I would explain to him that he has to tell me what's true.
    If you lie then I won't be able to believe you in order to help you. He is still a little young to understand (he is five), but he is catching on.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 12:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• ground them & have them write I will not lie 10 times plus tell them why no one will believe them if they continue to lie.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't think it matters if he's lying about something big or small.
    I tell my boys that if they tell me the truth that they won't get in trouble or as much trouble (depending on the offense) but if they lie they will be in BIG TROUBLE. Big trouble usually means grounded from everything for at least the day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• vinigar! only for the big lies though like "im trying to cover my butt with this lie" kinda lies. the first and only time i had to do it to my oldest, he CRIED and SCREAMED! and i asked him "you know what that taste is?
    " he sniffled and said "noooo" i said "its the taste of lying to your MOTHER." HES BEEN HONEST EVER SINCE!
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 2:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son is only two, but when he breaks something, or does soemthing If he lets me know ahead of time, I just tell him it's ok and tell him to be more careful, ect. But if I find soemthing that he didn't tell me about, (coloring on the walls, that he tries to hide behind his door, or in the closets, ect :P) Then he gets in trouble. Its good to let him know that he can come to me even if it's soemthing he thinks he needs to hide.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Lying is part of child development, even if it is out of fear of getting in trouble. I think the punishments should vary depending on the lie. Always give kids a chance to redeem themselves. "I know you may be afraid right now and may be lying to stay out of trouble but dishonesty is not the right choice." When I ask kids "Did you do this?" And they are truthful I always begin by saying "First of all thank you for being honest, I appreciate that" I remain calm even as we go into the consequence.
    sassfire

Answer by sassfire at 5:05 AM on Jul. 19, 2010