What children's book should be in every child's room?

I love reading and am hoping to build this interest in my DS. Do you have any suggestions for books I should include in his growing library?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 11:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ezra Jack Keats : The Snowy Day, Whistle for Willie

A Cricket in Times Square

Poetry by Jack Prelutzky and Shel Silverstein

A House is a House for Me

Doctor Suess

Aesop's Fables

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Roald Dahl
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• all the dr. seuss books lol. shell silverstein when he is older. my kids also like i spy books which have minimal words so good for beginning to read.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The Giving Tree. Dr. Suess. Goodnight Moon, Maurice Sendak, there are just far too many to mention. Just remember that it doesn't have to be a picture book to share with your child. I started reading my favorite children's novels - Anne of Green Gables series - to all of my children as they were going to sleep when they were infants.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• This is a great question!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle - great for teaching many different areas, counting, sequencing, science, etc.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Helen Oxenbury - so much fun to read and act out with hand motions!

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn - great to read if your child is nervous to be away from you (especially great to read before going to first day of kindergarten)

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. - there are a few of these books (polar bear, panda bear & baby bear) and they are good b/c they are predictable books so your child can join in during reading even before they can read

Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney - very sweet story!

Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch - very touching story!

These are a few of my favorites!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My daughters love Good Night Moon. In fact my four year old now sits with the little one and "reads" it to her, its so cute.
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We have a huge collection of Little Golden Books. Some were mine when i was a kid but i started collecting them for him right when i found out i was pregnant. His bookshelf is full now and we are having to stack books on top of it. I've got almost all of Dr. Suess's books. I love Winnie the pooh's adventures. He loves anything to do with learning about dinosaurs and the planets so we have lots of learning books
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• anything by "robert munch" such a great author for kids!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• nursery rhymes books
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 12:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Giving Tree
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 11:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• any Dr. seuss!!!! Green Eggs and Ham! Cat in the Hat! In a peoples House! Just to name a few...
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010