Why did it take 70 days?

US accepts international assistance in dealing with massive oil spill in Gulf of Mexico
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The United States is accepting help from 12 countries and international organizations in dealing with the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The State Department said in a statement Tuesday that the U.S. is working out the particulars of the help that's been accepted.

The identities of all 12 countries and international organizations were not immediately announced. One country was cited in the State Department statement -- Japan, which is providing two high-speed skimmers and fire containment boom.

More than 30 countries and international organizations have offered to help with the spill. The State Department hasn't indicated why some offers have been accepted and others have not.

I wonder what happened to change his mind after all this time?

Clicky link below....

29again

Asked by 29again at 12:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There was some angle that was trying to be played. I believe PBO thought the leak (actually it is a hole) would have been resolved by now and he could have used it to advance a program/agenda. It turned out that he isn't waiting out the plugging of a leak. He is waiting for the filling of a large hole which almost isn't possible. Bill Clinton has even spoken that the only fix is to detonate a bomb so that the surround ground fills in the "large hole". PBO over-played his hand. When he looses we loose. Funny, when he wins, we loose. CRAP!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Because it's getting too close to midterm elections to be swept under the bridge. Action is warranted to mollify the American people.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Didn't one of his comrades say to never let a crisis go to waste? They must have needed a bigger crisis.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Seems "70" is the magic number for Barry! Didn't he also wait 70+ days before meeting with McChrystal? And it was also probably the number of days he ever stayed in one job--before skipping along to do damage elsewhere!!! I'm not about to start counting calendar days, but would 70 WORKING days (excluding Congress' summer recess) take us to the mid term election day?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

***

So true!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• So they say they will accept help but I have not heard anything regarding what kind of help or when. Obama still has not waived the Jones act so no ships can come in yet. This is just a distraction to make you think Obama is doing something. He may well be doing something but is definately taking his time. People think in days and hours and if he says something is happening people just assume something is happening. I'd like someone to tell me what it is that is happening.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• They have dropped the ball...idiots; morons; asshats; whatever you want to call them - from day one we should have been telling BP they will accept offers of help from these other countries; I can't remember who but someone offered several of those containment ships that can suck up the oil/water for seperation and then re-release of the clean water and we're apparently like "no it's ok we got this" -- No you incompetent eff'ing jack ass'; you most definitely do not "got this".
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I can't believe it took that long to accept help! But I am so glad to know other countries are willing to come to our aide. I hope this gets better soon, but I know it won't. It's such a horrble tragedy.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 12:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• From AP, June 18:
    At least 22 nations—including Britain, home country of beleaguered oil company BP—have offered oil-collecting skimmers, boom, technical experts and more to help the U.S. cope with its worst-ever environmental disaster. But their generosity comes with a price tag.
    The State Department confirmed that nearly every offer of equipment or expertise from a foreign government since the April 20 oil rig explosion would require the U.S. to reimburse that country.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well, this is a very important situation, SO GO AHEAD AND SPEND THE FRIGGIN' MONEY!!!!!!!!

Hellllllllllllloooooooooooooooo..............................
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2010