Might be pregnant, too early to tell, but I have to get surgery next week will this harm the baby has anyone gone through this before?

We had sex sunday, it is now tues and I just ovulated, I know I probably am not prego, but know there is a chance I could get pregnant. I am going in for a lower lumbar discectomy next wensd. and I know that if I do get pregnant it will still be too soon to tell, but I won't have it if I know it will harm the baby. I told the Dr. and he just said I will have to get a pregnancy test, but just because it says I'm not pregnant yet, doesn't mean I couldn't be prego. I am freaking out! I have wanted a baby and we have been trying and know I need surgery and I might be pregnant...blah why is this so hard.

liperez

Asked by liperez at 12:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Health

• Ask for a blood test but you will have to find out how many days it needs from the lab. The routine test at the hospital pre surgery is just a urine test and it is probably too early for that.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Ask for a blood pregnancy test. It may show up on there. Or try to rescheldule it for another week or 2 and remain abstinate.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• A blood test would be sensitive enough to tell you if you're pregnant or not in a few days.

I know that general anethesia is relatively safe for surgery that is totally necessary during pregnancy, but I don't know about how it would affect a baby this early. Also, is having back surgery a good idea if you are pregnant? Won't that take months to recover from? By then you will be adding weight to your lower spine and causing some strain, and if it's not healed yet, it might negate the effects of the surgery or even cause further injury.

Could you possibly postpone the surgery until you know for sure?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Def ask for blood test and reschedule! You do not want to go through 10 months of preganacy wondering if you have harmed your baby!
    EmandMike

Answer by EmandMike at 12:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Thanks for all your advice, I will get a blood test. The surgery is an outpatient to help my back for pregnancy. I have a herniated disc pressing on my spinal nerves, I have to do it now, but it only takes 6 weeks to recover from. Doctor said it would be better for my pregnancy if I do it now. I will def. get the blood test and make sure I am not prego. thanks again!
    liperez

Comment by liperez (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Jun. 30, 2010