did you paint the baby's room?

i am pregnant with a little girl.We are signing a one year lease tomorrow and my S/O says since we're only staying a year, we shouldnt paint her room...he is an artist and said he would hang paintings, but i feel guilty for not giving my girl the welcome she deserves..did you paint your child's room, and how important do you think it is?

ahasugar

Asked by ahasugar at 12:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No we didn't paint and I'm going to live in this house for the next three years. It's not a necessity of life or anything like that. My husbands an artist to and I was WAY more excited about hanging some of his art pieces on the wall then I was when he suggested painting the room. I can take the paintings with me, who's going to say that when I move I'll be able or willing to paint my boys room again?
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 3:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• ipainted my kids' rooms last year. so the only one who actually had a painted room when they were a baby was my daughter who i was pregnant with at the time lol. i don't think it's important at all and agree with your hubby
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Nope, and I don't think it's a big deal. I think paintings on a wall will be more meaningful.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have 2 kids and one on the way and i didn't paint for any of them. With the first (a boy) we were living with my mom. With kiddo # 2 (a girl) we were renting and not allowed to paint. and with this baby (another girl) we have a house of our own but since my daughters room is already princesses i'm not repainting! lol our thing was to get each kid their own crib set. I mainly wanted the comforter. That way when they grow up I can give it to them when they have kids and tell them that it was theirs when they were a baby/toddler. Paint, no matter how beautiful, will be gone when you move...
    bamboobear2

Answer by bamboobear2 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I did. I painted his room an earthy green color. It's definitely not a necessity or anything, I'm just huge on decorating! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My house is rented and we painted. We did lemon paint on the walls and added a winnie the pooh border. Check your rental agreement though because it might be that you have to return the room to its previous state when you do leave.
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 2:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We will be painting the room but since we own the home we are painting because it needs to be done. The walls are filthy and have decades of cigarette smoke in them. The house originally belonged to my grandmother who recently passed and the last time that room had any attention paid to it was at least 30+ years ago. But you don't need to paint the nursery to make it special. You can do others thing like hang paintings made for the baby lie your husband wants to do. Another thing to consider is that you rent and that opens a bunch of questions and issues. Can you paint? Will you have to repaint before you move out? What happens if you don't? Do you loose some or all of your deposit? Do you really want go through the trouble of painting the room just to have to go through the trouble of painting it again 11 months later?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I didn't with my first because we were in a similar situation. I didn't think it was worth it. I am with my second (currently prego) because we own the house and can do whatever we want with it!

My older son and this one will share a room. It's the first time my older son has had painted walls in his room and he's 2 1/2. I think he'll live. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• NO,I never paint as my first 2 was boys. And i was living in an apartment i could paint if i wanted to but it had to be paint back to white and it was only a one bedroom large.I move out after i had the 2rd boy.The 3rd a little girl we are renting in military house again we can paint but it had to be back to white before we move out and you just never know when you will move again it the military .And now i am pregnant with # 4 wish will be our last.I would said just hang some paint up and use other item to make the room like good.As if you are renting because more than likely you will have to paint it back to white before you move out.If you have your own home and each kids had them own room than i would said go for it paint the baby room and than wait till they can tell you what they want and than paint it again so they have a room that come enjoy for year to come and i would take photo for the baby book if you have one.
    Angelmom03

Answer by Angelmom03 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We painted our daughter's room when we bought our house. We picked a color that was gender neutral because we were even trying at that point but wanted to get the painting finished. If it's an apartment, I wouldn't paint it. If it's a rented house, I would check with the landlord. Are you planning on staying there longer than a year or do you plan on moving once your lease is up? If you plan on staying, then I would see about painting it. If you're just staying a year, I wouldn't paint it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2010