What is a good source of protein without milk or meat?

I'm being tested for diabetes, and my son has severe food allergies to meats, eggs, milk. Soymilk alone makes me crash, all the protein powders are milk-based--I can't figure this out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Beans, quinoa. soy beans and related products like tofu and tempeh, and commercial products like boca burgers are all great sources of protein. There are a couple of books out there on vegan body building that would help too, tons of animal-free protein ideas in those.

BTW, you don't need to combine the beans and such in one meal to get complete protein. That theory was very popular in the 70s but it was debunked a long time ago. So long as you eat a variety throughout the day your body is quite capable of combining all the amino acids in to complete proteins.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Beans and nuts
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Also, oatmeal, quinoa, hemp seed milk (I think that's what it's called, and I think they make protein shakes out of it too...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• nuts, beans, legumes. Not all protein is animal/milk based. You could try hemp protein, soy, spirulina and the list goes on. I have been out of the health food industry for 5 years. Head into whole foods, Sprouts, or GNC and see what they have.

I know that they have whey isolate that is really good, and depending on you allergies may work. If the soy is making you crash it is likely because of the added sugar and you aren't eating it with a balanced meal with complex carbs, fat and protein.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:01 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Beans and rice paired together
    quiona
    lentils
    For a drink, try homemade rice milk, using rice flour, brown rice protein powder, and a few other ingredients. It's much higher in protein than commercial rice milk.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Nuts, beans, and chicken are great sources of protein.
    Harris06

Answer by Harris06 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• nuts, assuming you dont have an allergy to those as well. Also beans.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• beans and rice make an almost complete protein. Beans, nuts, and grains all have parts of proteins (amino acids) so if you combine them you get complete protein.

Answer by Bmat at 8:58 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Nuts, beans, tofu even.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 12:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Are you sure your son's not just allergic to protein? I've heard of that in dogs before so I'm sure it happens in people too, I don't know how people or any animal survives without it though...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2010