Where is a good place to take a 10 year old boy for his first vacation?

He wants to see the ocean. Flordia would be the obvious choice but I don't think we want to go there. We thought about Mexico, but I don't think I want to bring a 10 year old boy there either, there is just too much going on there. Any suggestions? Thanks!

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 4:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I love them all. For a child.... Bethany Beach Maryland is lower key than the others. It has a good beach, is more family oriented, it has a boardwalk. It is within driving distance of other ocean resorts.

Answer by Bmat at 5:54 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• One of the west coast or east coast ocean resort towns. I am more familiar with those on the east coast- Virginia Beach, North and South Carolina, Maryland, Delaware. New England is a good place to visit.

Answer by Bmat at 5:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Come to Chicago! We have great beaches, you don't need a car to get around, tons of kid/tween friendly actiivities.

Send me a message offlist if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• North Carolina. We have some of the best beaches around and lots of them. Go to Nags Head. You will be where the Lost Colony play is, near Jockeys Ridge, the largest sand dune on the east coast, near several lighthouses, you can go see the Wright Brother's Memorial, you are near Rhodanthe, Nicholas Sparks setting for Nights in Rhodanthe, and some really great beaches.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Coastal California. San Diego is nice and there is a great zoo there. Seattle is wonderful! Though I have never been there, I have relatives that like Portland Or. There is also New York City. Tons to do there. Chicago is nice and there is a lot to do if he just wants beaches and not an ocean. I live there as well. But there is a significant difference in seeing our Lake, though it is HUGE, and an ocean. I have seen the ocean on the west coast and eat coast and I like it better from the west coast actually.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• you could do a carolina beach tour and try 3 or 4 different beaches.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Hawaii???
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 5:35 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• oh i guess i should ask what your budget is huh lol?
    momofone072506

• Hawaii would be awesome but we are on a bit of a budget.
    theutilitarian

Comment by theutilitarian (original poster) at 5:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Bmat out of all of those places what's your favorite? I'm just trying to get some ideas and then research:) Thanks!
    theutilitarian

Comment by theutilitarian (original poster) at 5:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2010