Are you concerned that food recalls are on the rise?

http://www.usrecallnews.com/section/recalled-food
Is the rise in contamination-related recalls caused by the drive for greater profits, the use of cheaper ingredients purchased from suppliers willing to cut-corners ( Peanut Corporation of America and its customer Kelloggs); the failure to update and maintain manufacturing facilities to ensure the highest standards of safety ( Cargill and its peanut butter plant); insufficient product testing and quality control ( Dole baged Spinach); and over-reliance on the consumer to cook the product "properly" as a means of making it safe, when it should have been safe to begin with (Banquet pot pies and Topps-brand and American Chef's Selection brand frozen ground beef patties). Putting profits above safety, are food manufacturers trading short term gains for long term losses. Whats happening? Do we need more regulations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I am very concerned with all the recalls in the past few years. Not only in food but also in the toys we give our kids among other things. Food of course being the most important of those overall. It is for this reason that I have begun shopping at our local farmers markets and produce markets, I try to buy either all natural or organic meats, I do NOT buy ground beef (or much beef at all for that matter), and after watching Food, Inc., I have a whole new outlook on food lol. All I can say is try to buy local, try to know where your food come from, and don't buy a bunch of processed junk which isn't really healthy anyway. This summer when we get back from vacation, we will be looking for "pick your own" farms or maybe joining a CSA for produce grown here locally. I too wish we would go back to people growing their own food, or at least having to buy it locally.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I wish, if were at all possible, that we could go back to the pre-WWII era when people grew their own food, processed their own food, and actually knew how to cook instead of thaw, heat, and cook. Though I was born in 1959, my parents had a large garden, slaughtered their own meat, canned our food, made jams, jellies, pickles, and put meat in the freezer. We didn't have any recalls. We have concentrated our populations so much now that this is almost impossible. Plus, we have lost the skills required to grow our own food.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You mean putting something in the microwave isn't a home cooked meal!

Just kidding. I am concerned. But I don't know that more regulations will help it. Money is what these companies understand. So if people stopped buying it, they would listen.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 7:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I am concerned but like Bezu says, I am not sure how more regulations will help.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It makes me more comfortable actually. It just means that the FDA and the USDA are doing a good job or a better job finding the violations and making the companies tote the line so to speak. I'm not exactly sure there are more contaminations than before, but probably more being found.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• ***thaw, heat, and eat***
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I NEVER asked this question as anonymous.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 7:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yes, especially since we sometimes eat food that was rejected by OTHER countries

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Hopefully it means someone is doing their job and inspecting the food
    BleedinHeartMom

Answer by BleedinHeartMom at 4:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2010