A mosquito did this?!?!

I'm a worried mama! My son got bite by a mosquito last night right by the corner of his eye. This morning when he woke up his eye is practically swollen shut!! The doctor's office doesn't open for another hour :( When he gets bit on the arm or leg, his bites usually get a little swollen (more than a normal mosquito bite) and sometimes get scabby. His skin is pretty sensitive. Do you think he is allergic? Should I take him in right away!? This doesn't seem normal!! He keeps saying "eye" "eye" (he's 2).

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 8:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My niece is allergic to mosquito bites (and ant bites and a lot of bug bites) and I could show you several pics of her eyes swollen shut, as well as her ear looking giant & deformed after being bitten. Children's benadryl will take the itching away and help the swelling go down. You can call Call-a-nurse for the dosage if you aren't sure. With my niece, it always looked worse than it was. It didn't seem to bother her either. (Other than not seeing well until the swelling went down, poor thing. But you can also take her in to make sure. Good luck! :) BTW, it lessens as they get older. They can build up an immune system to to them. So there's hope. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:25 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sounds like he may be allergic. Do you have any kids benadryl? I'd give him a dose of that & see how his eye is by the time the dr's office opens. Hope your little guy's okay!!! If you don't have any benadryl I'd suggest getting some for the house just in case. No benadryl, call dr.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The mosquitoes this year are horrible! I have a little guy that got two bites on his shin and he was swollen from his knee to his ankle. The doctor told us to give him benadryl. The histamine was making him swell up. I also put a topical salve of benadryl on the bite directly. All of the children in my daycare are having problems with the bites like that. One got one on her elbow. To give you peace of mind, you could take your child into the doctor just to be sure everything is ok. The benadryl made the kids tired but it took the swelling down.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My 18 m/o woke up two days ago with about 3 bites. I feel so bad! Ugh! i've not even seen any in our house, but have outside ALL OVER the place. He's got sensative skin too so they just BLEW UP on his arm.....They're going down now, but if your really worried about your DS eye, then take him to see the doc.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The skin around his eye is more sensitive then the skin on his arms and legs. It will go down. I would put a cool rag on it and then, if possible, some bendadryl on it. You may want to take him to the Dr. just for reassurance but I'm sure he'll be fine.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 8:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• BTW, other than saying "eye" and being aware that something's not right, he doesn't really seem bothered...it's just freaking me out!
    mamie2shoes

Comment by mamie2shoes (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do have children's benedryl!! I was just worried in case this wasn't a reaction, but yes I will give him some right now! Thank you so much, I feel so bad for him :(
    mamie2shoes

Comment by mamie2shoes (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i swell up when I get a bite from a mosquito
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• sounds like a allergic reaction. Give Bynedrel and call the doctor when they open. Hope he is ok
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If it swells to the point he has trouble seeing I would take him to the dr. Otherwise some Benadryl will help. My daughter and I get really huge welts from mosquitoes its awful for us this time of year. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2010