Social acceptance

Why is it socially acceptable for a female to wear men's clothing but not socially acceptable for a male to wear female clothing? Why this double standard? Would you give a male in high heels a funny look?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 8:21 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yes, it's a double standard.

Over the years I have workded with many cross dressing me. And contrary to popular belief, they are not all gay either.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do not know why there is a double standard and I would not give a male in high heels a funny look. There are so many men who wear makeup, color their hair, mani & pedi their nails etc.... etc.... high heels or female clothing should not be a big deal.
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 8:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• As much as I would love to help you "get your question answered", my response will in no way be helpful to you, unless I tell you what's REALLY on my mind:)
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't give him a funny look.Definitely one of admiration,especially if he's got good balance.Never could wear high heels without tripping every other step or so.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 8:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• mustbeGRACE, go ahead and tell me what is really on your mind. I don't care if it is negative. I have dealt with negativity when it comes to this subject for awhile now. I have learned to let it just roll off. I'm just curious as to what everyone's theory is about this.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think it's a guy thing. I think it's the manly men that create this double standard. Also, lots of women who only wear mens clothes are often "unaccapted" by society for possibly being lesbians.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:29 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Honestly, I'd love to see men wear high heels. Then they could see what we have to go through. LOL Only a man would invent something as torturous as heels and call them fashion. But yes, I agree it is a double standard.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• it may be a double standard, but yes, i'd have to honestly say i'd give pause to a man in high heels. i'd probably think, ''why not go all the way, hon?'' i do wonder what makes them tick, if they aren't gay or in the process of changing gender. its not as common PUBLICLY as movies portray, IMO, so that's why people would probably stop and stare, at least for a moment.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It's acceptable among my circle of friends, but then, my friends aren't exactly normal. But to answer your question, it's simple - men love the idea of women in men's clothing or women with other women because they all want to be the one who "turns" a lesbian. But as samurai said, they have to be feminine in their wardrobe - Annie Hall, not post-meltdown Rosie Odonnell
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:27 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Pants are pants, shirts are shirts, drawers are drawers. They aren't that different - not really except in how they are cut and material used. I like the fuller cut of men's shirts. (I don't like clingy clothes women wear these days) But, a man in a feminine cut doesn't look any better on him than a woman who wears exclusively men's clothing. Double standard; I don't know. I just know the appearance of the clothing looks better on the gender it was cut for.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2010