For Christians ..Do you feel Christianity has become watered down?

To me ,it really does seem that way to the point that "most " not all ,Christians don't seem much different than the world around them.. this is not a vent or a bashing session, just more of a sad observation. We , in general, have become , do your own thing, sin is not sin any more, God understands my heart ,conplacent body of watered down, perfumed up religion followers that blend with the world so well no one can tell us apart from every other group out there. Very sad
We've lost the truth of "Come out and be ye seperate".. be not conformed to this world ,but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind".... "you live in the world but you are not of the world".."all things have passed away, all things have become new.. you are a new creation in Christ Jesus"

munchkinaplenty

Asked by munchkinaplenty at 8:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes! I see so many Christians saying "I'm a Christian but (insert anything that goes against the basic teachings of Christianity). We are expected to pretend that everything is okay, whether it is strictly prohibited in Scripture or not, because we don't want to be seen as "intolerant", "haters", or offending someone. The Bible says woe to those who call evil good and good evil. I don't know how many times in the Old Testament it says that everyone went their own way and leaned on their own understanding. Pastors and priests are afraid to talk about sin because it might offend the congregation.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:58 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• wow...preach it, girl!
    seriously, though, my momma's has said this my entire life. and generations before her probably have, too. xtians SHOULD be different, but when they do, they are ostracized, criticized, and laughed at..when they actually DO attempt to live up to biblical standards. yes, i would have to agree we've become complacent in our walk. but God does know our heart's intent, and there is that thing called 'grace' we all hang on. best any individual can do is pray for a closer personal walk, and believe God can take care of the rest.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• YES
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 8:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No. I believe that as our understanding of the times (and circumstances) surrounding the Bible stories has increased, so has our view of the issues included in those Bible stories. So what some Christians consider to be a sin, other Christians (after study and prayer) do not. It is all about interpretation of the Bible. And with so many different people with different levels of study, there are as many different interpretations of the Bible verses as there are stars in the sky... and sometimes more.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I know what you mean and yes it makes me sad too. I know that the Christian church at large has never been immune to the times in which it existed. I know that today many churches resemble businesses. Big business happens to be a big part of the social climate. Coinicidence? Of course not. Christ died to give us individual relationship with God and we need to make sure that we have that and continuosly check ourselves. If we go along with the church, as it goes along with society falling into the same traps we are most assuredly ingoring the Holy Spirit and the Word. I think it would be worse to face judgement in those conditions than it would be to be a nonbeliever.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes I do. I think it is time for Christians to stand up and get back to the basics. We are to be IN this world, not OF this world. Who cares if they ostracize us...a servant is no better then his Master...if they hate us- remember they hated Him first and without reason....

natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, I think it has. Jesus came to represented his Father and after Him, things and beliefs splintered. Really if you think about it, this watering down is suppose to happen...KWIM?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, I do think you are right that many have become complacent, which might be the consequence of so many denominations, or "different truth". Instead of having one spirit, one mind (Phil 1:27-28), the Body of Christ has become divided, people have distorted the truth (Acts 20:29-30) to suit their own desires (2 Tim 4:1-5). Just like momof3inTN wrote, Christians disagree on morality; some believe such-and-such action is a sin while others believe it is good.

This confusion is not led by God or the Holy Spirit, but by people. Yes, this division and complacency is a sad realization. =( But I'm glad, muchinaplenty, that now I know I'm not the only one aware of this. =)
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I completely agree with you.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No, I just think we as human beings struggle to understand. We don't want to be self-righteous, which has it's own consequences. I don't think that Christians are different than others. We are sinners, and we acknowledge we are sinners, but we do struggle with what sin is. We don't want to marginilize people who believe differently. Also, sometimes we react in fear when we discover that things are not black and white and we become rigid. I know I'm not saying this right, but to me Christianity is an invitation to enter into a Kingdom created by God, but there is no litmus test. We enter warts and all.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2010