What can I do for a 16 month old that gets car sick?

We are going on a 6 hour car trip on Friday and we have to drive over a mountain. All 3 of my kids get car sick. I give the older 2 their appropriate doses of dramamine, but what can I do for my 16 month old, if anything? (BTW, he is small. He is just now 20lbs.)

Courtney610

Asked by Courtney610 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would call your pediatrician. There might be a medicine that he can take. It can't hurt to call. I used to put the bracelets on my baby. I am not sure that it worked, but I figured that it was better than nothing. You can buy them at Wal-Mart.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 8:49 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Oh I am so sorry! I get car sick and my oldest (whose 7 also does).
    Call your pediatrician and ask. I take Bonine, and they make a kids Bonine too. Ask if that is safe for your LO.

Otherwise - keep the car very cool, bring water, and grocery bags (for any sudden puking).
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 8:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• is it possible for you to drive at night so that he sleeps through the trip?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Bummer... as far as trying to keep the sickness away... don't let them look at any books or watch video's while driving.. that makes it MUCH worse. Crack the windows for fresh air. And remind them to look out the windows... maybe play I Spy games with your older ones.
    I have heard that bracelets work wonderfully...
    The smell of peppermint is great for nausea... I would get some peppermint aroma therapy oils and dab it on some cloth they can put it near them in their car seats.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2010