Should an 11 year old have a laptop? My step-daughter is asking for one and I just don't see the need for it.

ChristinaMarie1

Asked by ChristinaMarie1 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• We have a family laptop that we all use.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no in my family
    child can use family computer, that has restrictions on sites and time allowed, in a family area, not in their rooms
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't think my kids will ever have a computer that is their own. Kids can get into too much trouble that way. Our computer will stay in a common space in the house that they'll be more than welcome to use.

I don't think it's a good idea either. I agree that there isn't a need for it.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We are a tech-family and EACH of us has a laptop, including our 12 yo daughter. The BIG restriction on her is that she may ONLY use it when one of us is around AND she is aware that we check the history section randomly. She purchased her laptop with her OWN Money! We have a desk-top computer in our "library/office".
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I agree with you,, she needs to use the family computer,, around the family,, does she not have a computer at her Mom's house? I myself have dropped and broken my laptop,, so I would think an 11 year old might tend to be more careless with it than an adult,,,What does your DH say?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• As long as there is child protection I don't see why not. I would love to get one for my 6 y/o to use for school. it would make his lessons a lot easier for him. he wouldn't use it otherwise though so for us it's no big.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think it depends on the child and what he/she does on a computer.

My 10 year old daughter is homeschooled and we have thought about getting her a laptop so that she can take more of her work with her when we happen to travel. At the moment she has a desktop in her room that she uses.
    LivinDeadGurl

Answer by LivinDeadGurl at 9:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Is your issue with it being a laptop or just a computer in general? I think a laptop is a trickier subject because they're easier to break and tend to be more expensive to fix. A computer of some sort is pretty much a necessity anymore from jr high on. In our schools they start computer lab in kindergarten, and by 5th grade they are doing reports and projects where they are expected to do net research. My son's computer isn't a laptop, but it is just his. We keep it central located where we can see it at all times when it's on and it has very restrictive controls.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• She does have a computer at her mother's. She is asking for a laptop for her birthday, and her mom is leaning more towards getting her one even though my husband does not agree. I just don't understand why she needs a laptop when she has access to a home based computer at her mother's and at her father's. I just think that this has disaster written all over it and I just don't think she is responsible enough to have such a high priced item. Whatever happened to asking for a bike?
    ChristinaMarie1

Comment by ChristinaMarie1 (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Not here... So much can happen by meeting people on the net.. even with parental controls I get paranoide.. so I would not let my kids have THEIR OWN until they are 18 ...There is NO REASON they cant have as much fun and get homework done on the family desktop.and I can see the history and know what they are doing.
    JorMax

Answer by JorMax at 9:18 AM on Jun. 30, 2010