hoe do you think you would react, if your child...

grew up to be homosexual?

I hope that I would be supporting and excepting, not just to her face, but in my heart too

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 9:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Considering my brother is gay and some of my best friend's from high school are gay (and I'm still friends with them) I would be totally accepting. Only problem is the non-acceptance the rest of the world has. That would make me sad that my child would have to experience that.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I am a Christian and homosexuality isn't in my beliefs. I don't judge anyone who is gay. That isn't in my beliefs either.

Honestly, if my child came home and said "Mom, I am gay." I would have a hard time with it.

However, I would not disown my child. I wouldn't agree from a religous stand point but nothing will ever seperate me from a loving relationship with my child.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think I would treat it any differently than if they grew up heterosexual. Sexual orientation is something that has never really been an issue with me.
    LivinDeadGurl

Answer by LivinDeadGurl at 9:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would be okay with it. I figure as long as they are happy, then I am happy. Think about it.... if people are homosexual and don't want to marry straight people, then why should they not be allowed to marry each other? Either way you aren't changing the way they are going to be. So why would I want to stop my children from being with who they want to be with in life?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:13 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• They are and always will be my children. It is my job to love and support them no matter what. Who cares what sex they prefer or who they fall in love with. They are human beings just like the rest of us and should be accepted just like the rest of us.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well it wouldn't make one BIT of difference to me! I would worry for him about other people harming him for being Born that way,, but I would have a wedding for Billy and Barry the same as I would for Billly and Mary! LOL--I think sexuality is a small part of who you are,, I just want him to grow up to be a good man, no matter who he loves!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If my DD grew up to be a lesbian, i would totally embrace it. I would not care one bit.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would die, no offense to the gay people out there. I would try to be supportive and I would know it wasn't his/her fault and that they would probably be confused enough as it is for me to not make it any worse. I would support them but will never truly accept it. But I wouldn't make it any harder either.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Hey Casey, you said "I am a Christian and homosexuality isn't in my beliefs."... What about happiness? Is that in your beliefs? Because if being gay makes your child happy that's all you should care about. I think homosexuality and religion not being "based on each other" is just being closed minded.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have just experienced this. A few days after he turned 18,right before graduation, he came out to me. I will admit for the first 3 days, especially the first 24 hrs, I was crushed. More scared about the life he is going ot have, will he be loved and accepted? Will it be harder for him in life as opposed to hetero? I mourned not having grandchildren with his big eyes , etc. I actually cried so hard the next day I had to leave work! then i realized, this was no different than him coming home,saying his eyes were blue instead of green. He was still the same kid, boy. man that he had always been. He has a great partner, I couldn't be more pleased. Safe,healthy,supportive and nurturing. I haven't had to deal with any hatred yet but I know he has and he handles it with grace and humor and is fierce in his convictions. Are church loves him and accepts him as any other child of God which is as it should be.
    dcawoman

Answer by dcawoman at 9:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2010