Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

how do you get dental work when you have no insurance and no money?

i have a wisdom tooth that is half broke. late yesterday it started bothering me. and the pain is just getting worse. i've taken 6 tylenol since midnight, so for sleep and a little relief. i've been calling dentist, but no one will work with me.

my gums are swollen, and my face hurts, i have not been able to eat anything this morning.


Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 9:31 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Health

Level 16 (2,514 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • I'm in the same boat, need dental work, no money for it, cannot get loans, no credit cards, and the health dept here only helps children with dental. I feel for you.

    Answer by Barcelonalove at 9:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • I found a dentist who lets me make payments to him for work he's done. It's rare to find dentists that will do this but they are out there.

    Answer by newmomma14 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • call around and find a dentist that will allow you to make payments. explain your situation. you may have to make a lot of calls, but be honest about what you can afford monthly.
    my dh is a chiropractor, and we would never turn anyone away. as long as they made regular payments, and were up front about their situation and ability to pay, we would work with them.

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • I had to get $2500 worth of dental work a year ago....I got a loan... is a credit card an option for you? I hate to suggest that, but, if you are in would be worth it. Can someone lend you the money?

    Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • call a local dental school, your county health dept

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • i have crappy credit. because of dh losing his job last year, we are still trying to recover. i tried for care credit but got denied.... i don't think we have a dental school anywhere around here.

    Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • I would call your local job and family services and see if they can give you any insight. Also if he is jobless then apply for medicaid. That has dental with it.

    Answer by cudybug at 9:39 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • im a hygienist, do you have medicaid? if so you can probably go to a local hosp or dental office, but if not, then as someone previously stated you can go to a local dental school. They may be able to help you with any dental work you need done. I hope you feel better soon hun unfortunately 6 tylenol isnt going to help you much more then 2 or 3 at this point. Try to find help quickly so you dont end up getting an abcess and swelling up with that broken tooth..

    Answer by luvmycuteboys at 9:42 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • Medicaid doesn't cover dental work anymore, luvmycuteboys .. They cut it out of the program last year, due to the economy.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • Have you tried the chain places like Castle or American? Those are in my area but I am sure there are more in other areas.They usually have payment plans.
    Good luck.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2010