Does your child take medicine easily or is it a "battle"?

What's easiest? Liquid, tablets, desolvable strips? How to you get them to take their medicine?

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 9:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I HAVE ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS! ALL 4 KIDS! hOLDING THE HEAD DOWN, THROWING IT UP, NOT SWOLLOWING.FINALLY MY DRTOLD ME THEY MAKE TYLENOL SUPPOSITORIES. THEY KEEP THEM BEHIND THE PHARMACY COUNTER AND ARE IN A REFRG. GOOD LUCK DARLIN!
    kkleywegt41

Answer by kkleywegt41 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i can't help, i have never given a child medicine!!!
    i say prevention is the best medicine!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• mine don't seem to mind it at all.

I use liquid and the syringe, they sell this little adapter thing at the pharmacy that's like a cork with a whole in it you put the syringe in, turn bottle upside down, fill syringe. Nice no mess way to do it! Get them to open their mouth, and squirt it in the back. Having a cup of juice or milk handy isn't a bad idea either for right after to wash it down with
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Mine would only swallow a pill, even at age 4. He was ok with some liquids, but, mostly not. And never any chewable Tylenol.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I've only ever tried liquids. My 3-year-old takes it very easily, loves it, to the point where he'll cry and carry on sometimes when he wants medicine and I won't give it to him (I'm tempted sometimes to give him some water in his medicine spoon just to shut him up, but I don't want to encourage the idea that he can have medicine whenever he wants it). My 1-year-old, though, fights me something awful, to the point where I have to lay her down and tilt her head back to make her swallow.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We've only done liquid medicines at this point with the little ones, and it's easy. If I'm giving one of them medicine the other always thinks he/she needs some too. They are now at the point they are making up ailments in an attempt to get medicine. Yesterday my daughter told me she was sick and needed medicine. When I tried to find out what was hurting she finally decided it was her foot, which is only slightly more believable than her hair which hurt really bad last week!

My 13 year old only takes pills now. Everything prior to that was a battle with her.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:02 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It's almost impossible to get my daughter to take medicine. The only way we've been able to do it is to have a 'chaser' readily available.
    carolinamom84

Answer by carolinamom84 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• liquids and desolvables. make up a game or something fun to do.. never,never tell kids that the medicines their taking is candy.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Liquid and it's easy. Anytime she coughs, she thinks that she needs medication. LOL
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Liquids mostly and no it's not too bad. Some medicines taste horrible and are harder to give.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2010